The faculty library of the management studies contains approximately 17000 books and few subscribed printed journals. The book collection is divided in to three sections namely lending, reference and permanent reference. The lending and reference books are housed and shelved together, where’s permanent reference books are shelved in the reference section of the library.
The library possesses a rich collection in the subject areas of management, accounting and tourism. Further, a collection of e-books are also available to download in full text.
The library offers the seating facility for 50 students at the reference section
Students are allowed to borrow books from any library from the university library network. Permanent references items are only allowed for in house reference
Weekdays except public holidays 8.30 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
Weekends except public holidays Saturday 8.30 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
During the study leave and examination periods the library opening hours will be extended to 8.00 p.m. on weekdays.
Rules For Using the Library
- No group discussions or meetings will be permitted in the library.
- All the members should get registered in advance if using the library.
- Books are not issued without university identity cards.
- The responsibility for books issued will be on the owner of them and the identity card should be provided for entering the library.
- Indiscipline behaviour in the library is prohibited.
- Taking personal files, personal books, caps, cameras, mobile phones, etc. to the library is prohibited.
- Permission from the security should be taken before taking personal notes in to the library.
- Users are advised to avoid confusing the order of books on shelves and hiding them.
- A reference book will be issued only for a night if there is no any requisition for the same book.
- At the time of taking books away from the library, make it a point to get the signature of the security person.
- Reservation of seats for others in advance is prohibited in the library or the reading room. Also, there is a ban on booking seats in the reading room and going away from it.
- When you go away from the reading room, all the personal goods should be taken out.
- Smoking and taking foods inside the library is strictly prohibited.
Rules for Using the Reading Room
- Should maintain strict discipline and silence.
- Always behave without disturbing the others.
- Meetings and discussions are totally prohibited.
- There is ban on influencing others for indiscipline activities.
- Destroying equipments would be penalized.
- No permission for having foods inside the reading room.
- No one will responsible for books and other equipments left in reading room.
- No permission for reserving chairs in advance.
Regulations for Using the Library
- All the members are required to keep silence inside the library.
- Damaging the library property is considered as a severe offence.
- If you have no any knowledge of the order of the call numbers, avoid from putting books on shelves.
- If there is a lack of textbooks or other books, it should be informed to the counter.
- Library staff is not responsible for your personal material left in the library.
- Giving your fullest cooperation to the security personnel is very important.
Regulations for Using the Reading Room
- Permission will be given to use the reading room only from 7.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.
- Parcels are undertaken only from 7.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
- The room in which parcels are kept will be closed at 5.00 p.m.
- Always give your support to the security personnel.
Fines for Overdue Items
The Management library charges overdue fines from users if the borrowed items (Books/CDs/DVDs) are not returned on or before the due date/time. Overdue charges are based on the item type (i.e. lending book/CD/DVD or reference book/CD/DVD) and the number of days/hours delayed to return them.
Usually, the library allows users to keep a lending item for 14 days (excluding holidays), while a reference item is allowed to keep from 2.00 p.m. of the day issued to 10.00 a.m. of the following day (excluding holidays). Overdue fines are charged from the users those who do not return the borrowed items during the above periods. However, the users are allowed to complete the full payment for fines in multiple steps.
For lending items:
Fine of Rs. 1.00 for each day of delay.
For reference items:
Fine of Rs. 1.00 for each hour of delay.
Lost Items and Compensation
Compensation charge for lost items is based on the publication year of the item and price of the lost item when it was purchased.
The following scheme is applied to determine the compensation.
If the lost item is published five years or less than five years prior to the year it was lost:
100 percent (100%) of the value of the lost item will be charged by the library for the lost item.
If the lost item is published five (excluding five) to ten (including ten) years prior to the year it was lost:
200 percent (200%) of the value of the lost item will be charged by the library for the lost item.
If the lost item is published ten (excluding ten) to fifteen (including fifteen) years prior to the year it was lost:
400 percent (400%) of the value of the lost item will be charged by the library for the lost item.
If the lost item is published more than fifteen years prior to the year it was lost:
1000 percent (1000%) of the value of the lost item will be charged by the library for the lost item.
In addition to the above compensation charge(s), Rs. 15.00 will be charged per item as an administration fee and the total binding cost will be charged if the lost item was mended (bound) prior to the item was issued.
The entire library collection can be searched through the online library catalogue from anywhere in the world.
All the library users are provided with an user account by default. Members are kindly requested to activate their library account which allows the user to trace all the transactions and e-mail alerts.
For further details please visit the website of the main library http://www.sab.ac.lk/lib/
Mr. A. R. M. M. Ratnayake
Faculty Library of Management Studies,
Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka,
Telephone: +94(0)45 - 2280045