Centre for Computer Studies
The Centre for Computer Studies provides many IT related academic and technical services to the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka. The centre has been conducting and supervising academic programmes of different faculties, preparing IT curricula and providing training for academic and nonacademic staff as well as academic supportive staff. The CCS has been providing University web service and email facility for the entire university community. Campus-wide Internet and networking facility, virtual learning environment with other network services, e-learning facility and hardware software maintenance services are the technical services provided by the Centre for Computer Studies.
The campus–wide network contains more than thousand computers and computer related equipments such multimedia projectors, IP phone network, video conferencing unit for academic, administrative and office activities. All maintenance activities, technical planning and evaluations for advance improvements of hardware infrastructure and software environments are obtained by the technical staff of the centre with its online problem solving system. The academic activities are conducted by a qualified academic staff including senior lecturers, lecturers and instructors while providing all kinds of technical assistance by the network administrators and technical assistance staff. The Centre for Computer Studies, through its friendly staff, serves the whole student community of the university throughout their academic programme.
Rules & Regulations
The IT facilities provided to users by the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka (SUSL) shall include hardware, software and computing domains including the provision of computing facilities via the campus-wide network (Network). The Network includes wired/wireless network connections and remote connections to access its computing facilities.
The following acts are PROHIBITED on the computer facilities:
- Anything that might be considered illegal: The SUSL computer facilities may not be used to encourage any act that will be an offence under the laws of Sri Lanka.
- Accessing, storage or downloading from any source or displaying, creating or transmitting in any form and language, of any obscene, distasteful, vulgar or sexually suggestive electronic pictures, graphics or movies.
- Any use of obscene, distasteful, derogatory, vulgar or sexually suggestive or discriminatory language.
- Publishing web pages or emails disseminating information that disturb political, religious and racial harmony.
- The introduction of 'virus' or 'worm' or any software program designed to alter any data or software in the computing facilities.
- The tapping of the computer facilities or its Network.
- The transmission, display or broadcasting of electronic messages or the use of the computer facilities in any manner:
- to denigrate, degrade or defame any person, family, organisation, nation, race or religious group;
- for commercial or political purposes.
- for or on behalf of any person, party, organisation or principal.
- The user shall be personally liable for the maintenance of the user account and computer to prevent the occurrence of any of the aforementioned facts.
- Users who wish to connect their own computers (computers that do not belong to the SUSL) to the Network shall obtain prior authorization from the Centre for Computer Studies (CCS) and must adhere to the following rules:
- The computer is configured to use TCP/IP protocol with IP address automatically assigned by CCS.
- The computer is protected with up-to-date anti-virus software. In addition, the user must also apply the latest software security patches and service packs to their computers to prevent network intrusions or attacks exploiting the weaknesses of the computers.
- Users who connect their own computers to the Network shall not configure the computer to:
- use IPX or NetBEUI protocols,
- share IP address with other computer.
- provide services such as: Distribution of IP addresses on the Network e.g. DHCP Server, Firewall or Router, WINS server, Mail/SMTP server services, Domain Name Server (DNS) or Proxy Server services,
- Perform abusive activities towards other computers within SUSL or outside SUSL. Such abusive activities may include but not limited to, performing port scan on other computers, sending SPAM mails to other internet users, depositing or connecting to Trojan horse type of software on other computers.
- Users shall not tamper with the Network in any manner to:
- relocate the network outlet to another location either permanently or temporarily using extension cable.
- extend the Network outlets using network hubs, switches, routers, NAT (Network Address Translation).
- The computers connected to the Network shall be accessible to the Director/CCS.
- Computers connected to the Network shall not be used to store highly confidential information such as exam papers, etc. CCS shall not be responsible for the security of such information stored in Networked computers.
- Users shall not use the “Administrator” account for browsing the web. This account is used to install software and hardware settings only. A separate “user” account shall be created in each computer to access the web and for normal usage.
The CCS Helpdesk is the first point of contact for all of the IT related technology needs and issues at the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka. The Helpdesk handles email, and in-person requests from students, faculty, academic staff, administrative staff and non-academic staff on IT related matters of their day to day activities.
CCS Student Helpdesk
The CCS Student Helpdesk is staffed technical workers employed by CCS to assist users in the residence computer centers under the CCS of each faculty with computer related issues.
- University Web Mail
The CCS provides e-mail facility with 30GB storage capacity for all the academic and administrative staff members and all the students under the xxx.sab.ac.lk university domain.
Request web mail account (Only for Students)
- SUSL Mail
The CCS joining with the Microsoft Corporation and provides other e-mail facility with 1GB storage capacity for all the academic, administrative, non-academic, and all the students under the susl.sab.ac.lk domain.
- E-Learning System (SUSLLEARN)
The CCS provides necessary infrastructure facilities for e-learning and Learning Management for all the academic and students with the fully facilitated e-learning servers and qualified technical staff.
Request LMS account (Only for Academic Staff)
The service center staff of the CCS handles all the engineering, technical, electronic, electrical, and computer repairing, trouble shooting inside the University. This will help to carry out all the University activities such as not only the academic activities but also administrative activities very smoothly and effectively.
- Technical Support and Preventive Maintenances of Computer Systems
- Network Installation, Configuration and Troubleshooting
- Electronic, Electrical, Telephone System Maintenance
- Technical Support for Lectures, Special Events, Event Handling at the Auditoriums and Computing Service Center Training Programs.
|Reinstalling Operating Systems||The reinstallation of a computer's operating system, the latest security patches for that operating systems software and all appropriate hardware drivers are included as one service.|
|Software Installation||Provide and install all necessary software for all academic programs not only for computers in the computer centers but also personal laptop computers of lecturers, administrative staff members, non-academic staff members and students.|
|Virus, Software and Adware Removal||The removal of malicious code usually referred to as adware, spy-ware, and viruses, which affect a computer's performance, functionality and poses a security risk on the University network.|
|Network Connectivity/Troubleshooting||Troubleshooting and resolution of wired or wireless network connectivity issues that limit a Internet access of the University community due in part to configuration settings, software drivers or malware such as viruses and external disasters such as lightening, electricity distortions etc.|
|Applications Troubleshooting (Microsoft Office)||
Troubleshooting Microsoft's Office applications for irregular and inconsistent performance.
Use the following application form for obtaining any of the above facility and mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org mail address. (Request can be made by only the University community member)
Request CCS Service
Any complain on the services of the CCS can be made by e-mailing to the email@example.com mail address.
CCS facilitates to download some software’s that brought to the university. Also CCS provides Microsoft software’s for students and staff through the Microsoft download center of the university.
Software Directory: some Software’s that can download internally
This is your university software distribution website, which allows students, faculty and staff to download software at no cost from the SUSL WebStore which is located at the Sabaragamuwa University local server as well as from the Microsoft's DreamSpark BLOB Server in the Internet.
Contact Center for Computer Studies
Center for Computer Studies,
Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka,
P.O. Box 02,
Phone: +94(0)45 - 2280049
Main office, G- Building, Main Campus
Center for Computer Studies, Faculty of Management Studies
Center for Computer Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences and Languages
Center for Computer Studies, Faculty of Agriculture Sciences
Mr. Ravindra Dangalla
Mr. RVSPK Ranatunga
Mr. RMNB Rathnayake
Dr. HK Salinda Premadasa
Mr. S Nimishan
Mr. H.M.M.A Herath
Mrs. AC Nanayakkara
Mr. WRYS Samarasekara
Mr. ESA Gunasinghe
Mr. SASKJ Perera