Centre for Gender Equity and Equality
The Centre for Gender Equity and Equality (CGEE) of Sabaragamuwa University was established in January 2017 under the guidance of the University Grants Commission (UGC), Sri Lanka. The centre functions directly under the Vice Chancellor. The pioneer director of the center was Saman Handaragama, Senior Lecturer in Sociology at the Department of Social Sciences of SUSL. The CGEE has been located next to the students’ welfare branch and office of senior student counselor of SUSL.
Vision & Mission
University GEE Cell
There is a GEE Cell in the SUSL to eliminate all SGBV in the University.
Composition of GEE Cell
- Vice-Chancellor (Chairperson)
- Director – CGEE (Co-Chairperson)
- Deans of Faculties
- Director/Staff Development Centre
- Two academic representatives from each Faculty (one male and one female)
- Two academic support representatives from each Faculty (one male and one female)
- Two student representatives from each Faculty (one male and one female)
Functions of GEE Cell
- Providing training on gender equity and equality
- Conducting research, review policies and contribute policy inputs in the university level
- Doing the curricular reforms to inculcate the concepts and practices of GEE
- Preventing and responding to Sexual and Gender Based Violence.
- Identifying ways and means of preventing SGBV in the university and empowering staff and students to prevent and respond to SGBV by developing relevant skills.
- Enhancing capacity to facilitate and monitor the implementation of the GEE Policy at the institutional level.
- Inquiring sexual and gender based violence and proposing to university councils for disciplinary actions to offenders and facilities to victims.
Centre for Gender Equity and Equality,
Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka,
P O Box 2,
Mobile:071 1227122 / 0775990696