Food Science and Technology
Industrial and Academic Collaborations
Throughout the degree program the students have ample of industrial exposure through industrial visits/ excursions and a final year research project that can be carried out at a public or private sector institution in the food industry.
Students are also required to organize the display stall at the annual Pro Foods Pro Pack International Food exhibition conducted by the Sri Lanka Food Processors Association, Awarness/ outreach programs, Exhibitions, World food Day Celebration and other network and capacity building programs.
They are encouraged and given the opportunity to present their reserch findings at local and international level academic forums/ symposia.
The undergraduates get the opportunity to visit the following industrial establishments/institutes during their undergraduate studies.
- Industrial Technology Institute - Colombo
- Cinnamon Research Institute - Thihagoda
- Institute of Post Harvest Technology - Anuradhapura
- Spice Research Institute - Mathale
- Tuffline Ltd - Meegoda
- Pelwatta Sugar Industries - Buttala
- Pelwatta Dairy Processing Factory - Buttala
- Ceciliyan Tea Factory - Kalawana
- Lion Brewery - Biyagama
- Ceylon Cold Stores - Ranala
- Central Fish Market - Peliyagoda
- NAQDA Research Center - Inginiyagala
- Agriculture In Service Institute - Bindunuwewa
- Ambewela Farm - Ambewela
- Taprobone Sea Foods (Pvt) Ltd
- NMK Agro Industries - Kadana
Furthermore, the department collaborates with many reputed food sector industrial establishments in arranging final year research and training placements.