The SUSL differs from traditional universities in many aspects. One such aspect is that the community has immediate access to it, to fulfill its educational needs. The university is situated in a remote area close to Belihuloya, Balangoda far away from Colombo.
It is common understanding that this area lacks facilities to learn correct English as there is not a single recognized educational institute in the area. In order to fill this vacuum and to make use of the available resource persons, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka offers a Certificate Course in English (CCE). This course aims at providing the school leavers English knowledge and abilities who desperately need a better command of the language for further studies and to find a suitable occupation in the ever increasing job market. Moreover, this course aims to help those who are employed to improve their English language proficiency to meet the professional demands of their careers.
In today’s world, the need of English language has been emphasized more than any other in the history, mainly due to the globalization as well as the effects of the improvement in the Information Technology which has made the world a global village.
It has been clearly identified that the students are very poor in speaking after following English language for more than ten years at the school level. This course has been designed and conducted to help the students to overcome speaking difficulties. Therefore, special attention is paid on to improve the speaking skill as it is the important and demanding but taken for granted skill in many English language courses in Sri Lanka. The final examination consists a listening test and an oral test. Each student is individually evaluated for their speaking ability in the oral test.
The course runs for six months. At the end of the six months, students will sit to the final examination. Classes are scheduled to be held in weekends only. There will be7 tuition hours a week.
To equip the students with the ability to read and understand simple texts of different styles dealing with different environments.
The course ensures the possession of writing skills in students required to meet their day-to-day academic and professional needs with a considerable degree of accuracy.
To teach the students basic language structures of English to be able to use all language skills accurately and appropriately with confidence.
The students are expected to have the ability to express themselves in any social, academic or professional events and situations confidently and effectively with a fair degree of accuracy.
This programme has been designed for the school leavers, job seekers and employees who need a basic foundation of English language
School leavers or employees who have passed G.C.E. O/L with an “S” pass for English. Those who do not possess this qualification will be allowed to follow the course, provided their English knowledge is adequate to follow the course.
The candidates are allowed to pay the course fee in two installments. (First installment Rs. 6,000.00 and Second installment Rs. 4,000.00) The first has to be paid at the registration, and the second before the end of 1st three months.
Mr. J S Senadeera
Telephone: 071-4453484 E-Mail: email@example.com
Mr. S.M.K.V. Samarasinghe
Telephone: 045-2280179 E-Mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Intended Learning Outcomes
* To equip the students with the ability to read and understand simple texts of different styles dealing with different environments.
* To offer the learner wider opportunities to grasp different structures of language through extensive reading.
* To facilitate the learner with better reading skills in order to meet the demands of the language.
Intended Learning outcomes
* To ensure the possession of writing skills in students required to meet their day-to-day academic and professional needs with a considerable degree of accuracy.
* To lay a firm foundation in writing in English to make the followers confident in doing higher courses that require standard writing skills in English and other subjects confidently.
* To encourage students interested in creative writings to continue to do so and publish them in newspapers or magazines.
Intended Learning outcomes
* To equip the students with basic language structures of English to be able to use all language skills accurately and appropriately with confidence.
* To enrich the knowledge of different language forms, functions and different language items to handle the language accurately.
* To promote the students to use language accurately and appropriately in different situations with confidence
ES/ CCE/ 04-Speech and listening
Intended Learning Outcomes
* To improve the ability to express themselves in any social, academic or professional events and situations confidently and effectively with a fair degree of accuracy
. * To enhance the confidence to use the language in any given situation overcoming the speaking difficulties.
* To develop the ability to listen and understand different speakers in various social contexts.
Examination will be conducted at the end of the programme. It consists of four written papers:
(Speech and Listening consists of two parts: Listening Test and Oral Test.)
All four papers should be completed with at least ‘C’ passes to pass the exam. All ‘D’ and ‘E’ grades should be upgraded in 3 attempts. All the papers should be completed in the first attempt in order to secure a Credit, Merit, or a Distinction.
75 - 100 - A 60 - 74 - B 40 - 59 - C 30 - 39 - D 00 - 29 - E