Internal Quality Assurance Center (IQAC) of Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka was established in complying with the Commission Circular No. 04/2015 as a coordinated body of University Grants Commission's Quality Assurance and Accreditation Council funded by HETC project: http://www.eugc.ac.lk/qaa/). IQAC is primarily to safeguard academic standards and quality of higher education qualifications and to inform and encourage continuous improvement in the management of the quality of higher education.
IQAC of Sabaragamuwa University oversees quality assurance for all teaching and learning processes, student support and institutional development. IQAC ensures that the Sabaragamuwa University operates in conformity with the Sri Lankan Qualification Framework (SLQF) and academic standards and accreditation set forth by Quality Assurance and Accreditation Council of Sri Lanka (http://www.eugc.ac.lk/qaa/). The University’s internal QA processes are complying within the Internal Quality Assurance Policy Framework.
The IQAC is headed by a Director, who is guided by the IQAC Management Committee. The Management Committee is chaired by the Vice-Chancellor of the University, and is constituted as per the guidelines issued by the University Grants Commission in this regard. Faculty level quality assurance activities are managed by the Faculty Quality Assurance Committees of the Faculty Quality Assurance Cells, which were established as per the QA By-Laws.
Standard Operation Guidelines of IQAC
- IQAC presents detailed information about the Centre, its mission, functions and activities, and the collective perception of Faculty Quality Assurance Cells (FQACs)
- The comprehensive self-analysis of the activities of the centre to identify its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT), and allows to suggest appropriate remedies where necessary
- Identification of weaknesses and shortcomings in policy and in procedural, organisational and other matters, including teaching and learning, which can be remedied internally
- IQAC provides a framework within which the centre can continue to work in the future towards quality improvement
- The IQAC shall develop an annual work plan and the budget align with the University strategic development plan at the beginning of each academic year
- Providing professional support for the development of the university’s policy in relation to quality assurance and improvement in line with good international practice
- Driving new initiatives designed to resolve issues arising repeatedly in review reports
- Supporting departments and units in implementing internal and external quality review processes
- Publishing review reports and other relevant reports
- Working with other institutions to improve the cooperation in quality assurance (QA) activities
Standard Operation Guidelines of FQACs
- Promote quality enhancement activities within the faculty liaising with Curriculum Development Committee and other Faculty committees in facilitating necessary workshops
- Liaise with the Internal Quality Assurance Unit (IQAC) of the University of Sabaragamuwa in facilitating the conduct of Institutional Review and Programme Reviews in the Faculty
- Compile evidence documents necessary for Institutional and Programme Reviews (IR and PR)
- Implementation of follow-up actions for commendations and recommendations in Institution / Programme / Review reports, and monitor the progress
- Liaise with FQACs in other Faculties within the University, to share good practices and enhance the quality of higher education in Sri Lanka
- Analyse the FQAC data such as peer review forms and student feedback forms and prepare reports
- Devise additional QA measures to the existing activities, based on the data collected on various QA indicators such as peer feedback student evaluation reports and external reviews
- Develop annual work plan of FQAC align with University strategic development plan
- The Faculty QA Committee is responsible to the Faculty Board for quality assurance and enhancement in the Faculty in conformity with the University’s quality assurance framework.