Professor Sanath P. Lamabadusuriya MBE
Position: Senior Professor
MBBS (Cey), PhD (London), DSc (Ruhuna), FRCP (London), FRCP (Edin)
FRCP (Glasg) FRCPCH(UK), FCCP, FSLCPaed., FSLGP, DCH (Eng)
Visiting Professor of Paediatrics Faculty of Medical and Allied Health Sciences University of Rajarata, Emeritus Professor of Paediatrics Faculty of Medicine University of Colombo and Former Dean, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo (August 2002 – August 2005)
1975-1980 Senior Lecturer in Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Colombo
1979-Locum Consultant in Paediatrics, Pilgrim Hospital, Boston, Lincolnshire, UK
1980 – 1991Founder Professor& Head, Department of Paediatrics, (Faculty of Medicine, University of Ruhuna, Galle.
1987 - 1988 Professor of Paediatrics and Paediatric Gastroenterology, College of Medicine & Medical Sciences, King Faisal University, Dammam, Saudi Arabia (Sabbatical Leave)
1991 -2008 Senior Professor & Head, Dept. of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo.
April 2015—to date Visiting Professor of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medical and Allied Health Sciences, University of Rajarata
Aug. 2002 – Aug. 2005 – Dean, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo.
1996 –1998 Locum Consultant Paediatrician, Worthing and Southland Hospitals NHS Trust, Worthing, West Sussex, U.K. (Sabbatical Leave)
Fellowships & Honorary Awards Received:
- Child Health Foundation Fellowship (Prize) for Social Paediatrics, awarded by the W.H.O. and International Paediatric Association (IPA) - 1987/88.
- M.B.E. – Awarded by Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II, 1991.
- Elected as Honorary Member of British Paediatric Association, April 1992.& Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Paediatrics & Child Health- 1997.
- Appointed as an examiner for MRCP(UK) Part II by Royal College of Physicians, London 1993.
- Appointed as Overseas Adviser by the Royal College of Physicians, London 1993 – 2008.
- Appointed as Scientific Adviser for Sri Lanka by the Norvatis Foundation 1992 - 2008.
- Awarded “Outstanding Paediatrician for Asia” plaque at the 9th Asian Congress of Paediatrics, Hong Kong, March 1997 awarded by APSSEAR.
- Elected as Fellow of Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health 1997.
- Appointed as an examiner for FCPS – II Examination in Paediatrics by College of Physicians & Surgeons, Pakistan in May 2000.
- Member of Expert Group on Child Health & Development- WHO/SEARO.2008
- Delivered the Professor CC de Silva Oration in 2001.
- Delivered the convocation address at the University of Ruhuna in December 2010.
- Delivered the E M Wijerama Endowment Lecture 2012.
- Has won awards for the best paper at scientific congresses.
- Honorary Senior Fellow of the Post Graduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo.
- DSc (Ruhuna) University of Ruhuna 2010
Other Professional Commitments:
- Chairman of the Board of Study in Paediatrics, Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo 1991 – 2002.
- Chief Examiner at MD (Paediatrics) and DCH examinations 1991 – 2002
- Past President- Asia Pacific Paediatric Association.
- Member of Standing Committee of International Paediatric Association 2007- 2011
- Member of many National Committees convened by Ministry of Health and Ministry of Higher Education
- President, Galle Medical Association 1990.
- Council member – Sri Lanka College of Paediatricians and Sri Lanka Paediatric Association for many years.
- Council member – Ceylon College of Physicians few times.
- Council member – Sri Lanka Medical Association many years
- President of Sri Lanka Medical Association 2011.
- Founder President Vaccine Forum of Sri Lanka
- Member of CSO committee of Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI)
- Member of Immunisation Practices Advisory Committee (IPAC) of WHO 2009 -2011
- Member of Immunisation Practices Advisory Group (ITAG) WHO (SEARO) 2015 –to date
Orations, Lectures and Research Publications:
- Has delivered several orations and invited lectures in many countries.
- Has over 130 research publications in International and National peer reviewed journals