Dr. MDEK Gunathilaka
PhD in Hydrography, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
MSc in Hydrography, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
BSc in Surveying Sciences, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
Dr. M.D.E.K. Gunathilaka a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Surveying and Geodesy, Faculty of Geomatics at the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka. His main responsibility is teaching Hydrographic Surveying subjects and conducting related practical components for undergraduate and postgraduate students. His research interests are in the field of Hydrographic Surveying and Spatial Sciences. Apart from that, he is the programme coordinator for BSc in Surveying Sciences Specialisation in Hydrographic Surveying (IBSC FIG/IHO/ICA Category B) and a delegate for Commission 4 (Hydrography) representing the university in the International Federation of Surveyors (FIG); since 2015.
Swath Sounding Systems
Marine Geo-Data Infrastructure
Offshore Positioning Methods
GNSS and EDM
Current Research Projects
Principal Investigator: An Investigation into Sea Level Rise in Sri Lankan Waters with Satellite Altimetry, Sabaragamuwa University Research Grant 2016 - SUSL/RG/2015/16 – Rs. 195,000.00
Coinvestigator: Development of a Unified Vertical Reference Framework for Land and Hydrographic Surveying in Sri Lanka - National Science Foundation Research Grant 2017 – RG/2017/EA/ &ICT/01 – Rs. 1,653,280.00
Coinvestigator: Diffusion of Survey Profession in Sri Lanka, Sabaragamuwa University Research Grant 2016 - SUSL/RG/2016/15 – Rs. 792,500.00
- “Estimation of Sea Level Rise in Colombo with Satellite Altimetry Data”. KDU International Research Conference 2017, Ratmalana; 3-4 August 2017.
- “Latency Effect on Single Beam Echosounder Bathymetry”. NARA Scientific Sessions 2017, National Aquatic Research Agency, Colombo; 27 July 2017.
- “Role of Spatial Sciences in Blooming the Blue Economy”, Sri Lanka Journal of Marine Environmental Sciences, Marine Environment Protection Authority. Vol 1, pp 57-60, 2016.
- “Land Valuation Systems using GIS Technology Case of Matara Urban Council Area, Sri Lanka”. Bhumi, The Planning Research Journal. Vol 4 Issue 2, pp.7–16, November 2015.
- “Ceaseless Tidal Zoning for Straits of Malacca using Spatial Interpolation”. FIG Congress 2014, Malaysia; 16-21 June 2014.
- “A Conceptual Model for Marine Cadastre for Sri Lanka”. NARA Scientific Sessions 2013, National Aquatic Research Agency, Colombo; 29 November 2013.
- “Fast Tidal Modelling Application Development for the Straits of Malacca”. 3rd Annual Research Sessions 2013 - Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka; 19 December 2013.
- “Spatial Distribution of the Sounding Datum in Johor Estuary”. First National Symposium on Marine Environment, Marine Environment Protection Agency-Sri Lanka; 27-28 August 2013.
- “Modelling the Tidal Datum Variability at the Straits of Malacca”. 11th International Symposium and Exhibition on Geoinformation (ISG 2012), Kuala Lumpur- Malaysia; 25-26 September 2012.
- “Comparative Study Between Flat and Uniform Bottom Assumptions for Snippet Imageries in Hydrographic Applications”. Geoinformation Science Journal, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, pp 41-51,Vol 11, Number 2; Dec 2011.
- “Tsunami Inundation Mapping in Sri Lanka”, East Asia Hydrographic Symposium and Exhibition, Kuala Lumpur-Malaysia; 20-22 October 2009.
- “NTRIP for Land and Hydrographic Positioning in Sri Lanka”, East Asia Hydrographic Symposium and Exhibition, Kuala Lumpur-Malaysia; 20-22 October 2009.
- “Identify the Impact of Tide Level for River Basin Flooding”. National Conference on Water Food Security and Climate Changes; International Water Management Institute of Sri Lanka (IWMI); 9-11 June 2009.
- “Mitigating Refraction in Multibeam Bathymetry”. 7th International Symposium and Exhibition in Geoinformation 2008 (ISG2008), Malaysia; 13-15 October 2008.
- “Surface Sound Velocity vs. Beam Steering: Effects on Flat Array Multibeam Depth Accuracy”. 2nd International Symposium of Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka; 8-12 July 2008.
- “An Appraisal of Multibeam Echosounder Calibration”. Joint International Symposium and Exhibition in Geoinformation & GPS/GNSS 2007 (ISG-GNSS2007), Malaysia; 5-7 November 2007.