B.Sc.(Honors) in Physical Sciences
M.Sc, Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences
Water and Soil geochemistry
Movement of trace metals in nature and removal processes
Current Research Projects
Impact of chemico-environmental, agrogenic and climatological factors on the onset of chronic kidney disease of uncertain etiology in Monaragala District, Sri Lanka -Funded by Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka from 2017-2019
Development of baseline soil information system for soil C and other nutrients for paddy growing soils in Sri Lanka-Funded by National Research Council in Sri Lanka -2017-2020
- S.K.Gunatilake, Rohana Chandrajith (2016). Removal of Pb(II) from contaminated water using low temperature pyrolyzed agricultural and forest waste biochars – a comparatively study, Journal of Desalination and water treatment, ISSN: 1944-3994, 62,316-324. doi: 10.5004/dwt.2017.1813
- S.K.Gunatilake (2016). N and P variation in Groundwater in Wet Zone and Dry Zone in Sri Lanka due to Fertilization to Paddy Crop, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 6(9), 1-5.
- S.K.Gunatilake and S. Malavipathirana (2016). Assessment of Suitability of Anionic Synthetic Detergents in Sri Lanka, International Journal of scientific & Technology Research, 5(9), 140-142.
- S.K.Gunatilake (2016).Production of quality organic fertilizer using firewood ash and tea residues produced from tea factories in Sri Lanka, IOSR Journals in Applied Chemistry (IOSR-JAC), 9(8), 48-53.
- S.K.Gunatilake (2016). Quantity Improved Analysis of Composting Process: A Case Study in Western Province in Sri Lanka, Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science and Technology, 3(4), 4500-4504.
- S.K.Gunatilake, S.S.Samaratunga and Folahan A. Adekola (2016). Effects of Binder on the Physico-chemical Properties and the Quality of Paracetamol Tablets, Der Pharma Chemica, CODEN(USA):PCHHAX, 8(4), 237-242.
- S.K.Gunatilake (2016). Adsorptive behaviour of Arsenic(III) ions from aqueous solution on to forestry and agricultural waste biochar pyrolyzed at 400°C, Sabaragamuwa University Journal, , 14(2), 108-118.
- S.K.Gunatilake (2016). Removal of Cr(III)Ions from Wastewater using Sawdust and Rice Straw Biochar Pyrolysed at Low Temperature, International Journal for Innovation Education and Research, 4(4), 44-54.
- S.K.Gunatilake (2015). Methods of removing heavy metals from industrial wastewater. Journal in multidisciplinary engineering science studies, 1(1), 12-18.
- Ruvini Rubasinghe, S.K. Gunatilake, and Rohana Chandrajith (2015). Geochemical characteristics of groundwater in different climatic zones in Sri Lanka, Environmental Earth Sciences, 74(4), 3067-3076, DOI 10.1007/s12665-015-4339-1.
- S.K.Gunatilake, S.S.Samaratunga and R.T.Rubasinghe (2014), Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) in Sri Lanka – Current Research Evidence Justification: A Review. Sabaragamuwa University Journal, 13(2), 31-58.
- Sanjeewa, C.H.G.R., Gunatilake S.K. S.S.Samaratunga and Basnayake, B.F.A. (2013). Production of High Quality Charcoal from Municipal Solid Waste by Developing a Pyrolyser. Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management, 39(1), 13-24.
- P.U. Liyanage, S.K. Gunatilake, and H.S.K. Fernando, (2011). An Environmental Assessment of Solid Waste at the Koggala Export Processing Zone in Sri Lanka, Ceylon Journal of Science-Physical Science, 16(1), 37-45.
- Gunatilake, S and Iwao, Y. (2010) A Comparison of Nitrate Distribution in Shallow Groundwater of Two Agricultural Areas in Sri Lanka and in Japan. Sabaragamuwa University Journal. 9(1), 81-95.
- Lekammudiyanse, L.M.M.U. and Gunatilake, S.K. (2010) Evaluation of the effectiveness of compost bin as a household water management technique: A case study in Gampaha Municipal Council Area, International Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 10(1)(1/6), 89-94.
- Gunatilake, S.K. and Iwao, Y. (2009) Geoenvironmental Assessment for Nitrate Pollution of Surface and Groundwater by Fertilization (A Study in Shiroishi Plain, Japan), International Journal of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 9(10), 12-19.