Dr. NSD Paranavitana
BA (Honours) University of Sydney
MA University of Sydney
MA University of Siegen
PhD University of Bonn
CTHE University of Colombo
Nirosha Paranavitana was educated at Visakha Vidyalaya, Colombo and was awarded with the Australian Development Scholarship (ADS) to pursue her undergraduate studies at the University of Sydney where she graduated with an Honours degree with a Second Class Upper Division. After two years of her service as a Temporary Lecturer in German at Department of Modern Languages of the University of Kelaniya, she started her postgraduate studies in Germanic Studies at the University of Fribourg/Freiburg Switzerland under the Swiss Federal Scholarship (ESKAS,) She was awarded with a MA in Germanic Studies from the University of Sydney, Australia in 2000. She started her career as a pioneering Lecturer in German at the Department of Languages of the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka. 2003 she was awarded the doctoral scholarship by the German Academic Exchange (DAAD) and from the National Centre for Advanced Studies (NCAS) Sri Lanka to pursue her Doctoral Studies where she gained a MA in Germanic Studies/ English & American Studies from the University of Siegen and a PhD from the University of Bonn Germany. She served as the Head of the Department of Languages from 2009-2012 and consequently as a Member of the University Senate. In 2015 she has been invited to serve as a Reader at the Institute of Indology of the University of Mainz, Germany. She was also the Acting Director of the Staff Development Centre of the Sabaragamuwa University and the Coordinator of the International section of the Centre for Research Knowledge Dissemination (CRKD). She is also a Member of the Panel of Judges of the State Literary Awards 2017. At present she is the Chairperson of the Self Evaluation Report committee of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Languages of the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka. She has been accredited as a Teacher in Higher Education by the University of Colombo.
Recent Services in the University and Educational Sectors:
Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka
- German for Tourism Management and Hospitality Management - Department of Tourism Management, Faculty of Management Studies
- German for Sports - Department of Sports Sciences and Physical Education, Faculty of Applied Sciences
Uva Wellassa University
- German for Hospitality, Tourism and Events Management - Department of Management Sciences, Faculty of Management
Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute
- German for Ayurvedic Purposes
Contribution for the Institutional Development
- 2011 - Member - University Development Grant Project Team, 50 Million Grant for the Development of English, ICT, Soft Skills and Ethnic Cohesion. Coordinator- Ethnic Cohesion
- 2010 - Proposal for an English Language Fellow through American Embassy for the Faculty of Social Sciences to initiate the Introduction of Teaching English as a Second Language into the curricular.
- 2011-12 - Proposal for Japanese International Corporation Agency (JICA) for a Japanese Language Laboratory for the Department of Languages, which was successfully installed in 2013
- 2012 - Facilitator - Memorandum of Understanding with the University of Mainz, Germany and Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka to develop bilateral links and to develop German Language links with Germany
- 2016 - Fascilitator - Creative Writing Workshop for Students in collaboration with the British Council Colombo
- 2017 - Chair Person – Self Evaluation Report – BA General Degree Programme
- 1998 - „The Idea of Nationalism of Rabindranath Tagore“ In: UVASARA Ananda Kulasuriya Felicitation Volume, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
- 2001 - „German in Switzerland: A Sociolinguistic approach“ Sabaragamuwa University Journal – Vol. 3
- 2002 - Co-Translator - „Folktales of Sri Lanka“ The Ministry of Cultural Affairs, Sri Lanka.
- 2008 - “Aśoka in Sri Lankan and other Chronicles” In: Roland Silva Felicitation Vol.
- 2011 - “Nationalism and National Freedom: Tagore´s Perspective” In: Remembering Rabindranath Tagore. 150th Birth Anniversary Commemoration Volume.University of Colombo
- 2014 - "Increasing demand of German Tourists in Choosing Sri Lanka as an Ayurvedic Wellness Destination" 7th Tropical Tourism Outlook Conference and 3rd Tropical, Coastal and Island Tourism Conference, Sri Lanka 2014
- 1997 - International Multidisciplinary Conference Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- 2001 - Translation: A Symposium University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- 2002 - Paper: “Translating German into Sinhala: Some Observations” International Conference on Translation at Foundation Institute Sri Lanka, Colombo Sri Lanka
- 2005 - Paper: „ Asoka and Tradition“. National Conference on Buddhist Studies. University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
- 2005 - International Conference on 500 Years of Sri Lanka Portugal Gulbenkian Foundation, Paris, France
- 2006 - International Conference on the author Robert Neumann „Die Spur des Exils – Der Schriftsteller und Publizist Robert Neumann 1897- 1975“. Senate Hall, Universität Siegen, Germany.
- 2007 - XXX. Deutscher Orientalisten Tag, Universität Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany.
- 2009 - Symposium on Traditional Knowledge held at Council Chambers of Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka
- 2009 - SLAAS (Sri Lanka Association of Advancement of Sciences) Theme Seminar at the Foundation Institute of Sri Lanka, Colombo
- 2010 - Seminar on Oral Traditions of Sri Lanka and Europe, Conducted by the Staff Development Centre, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
- 2010 - Strategic Tourism and Hospitality Marketing, 18th & 19th September 2010 Sri Lanka.
- 2011 - Seminar on Chinese for Government Officials from Developing Countries sponsored by the Ministry of Commerce and organized by Beijing Chinese Language and Culture College from August - November in Beijing, the People Republic of China.
- 2014 - 7th Tropical Tourism Outlook Conference and 3rd Tropical, Coastal and Island Tourism Conference, 8th-10th August 2014, Sri Lanka