Professor JMCK Jayawardana
PhD - University of Ballarat (Federation University of Australia), Victoria, Australia (2007)
MPhil - Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya (2002)
BSc Special Degree in Zoology - University of Sri Jayawardanapura, Sri Lanka(1994).
Catchment management and stream Ecology
Invasive species Ecology
Environmental Issues Related to Water and Land Pollution and their Conservation
Development of bioindicators for predicting freshwater ecosystem health.
Principal Investigator – Research project on “Evaluation of water quality and macroinvertebrate compositon in relation to catchment land use practices in Uma Oya and Badulu Oya sub catchments in Upper Mahaweli Catchment Area (UMCA) in Sri Lanka.” Funded by National Research Council of Sri Lanka (NRC) (SLR 3.8 million)
1. J.M.C.K. Jayawardana (2016) Water Resource and the Aquatic Environment: Current Issues and Options for Sustainable Management, NOVA science Publishers, Inc. New York. ISBN: 978-1- 63485-881-6.
2. J.M.C.K. Jayawardana (2010) Role of riparian vegetation and instream vegetation in macroinvertebrate production in stream restoration. (Eds. Gillian D. Hayes and Timothy S Flores) Stream restoration: Halting disturbances, Assisted recovery and managed recovery. NOVA science Publishers, Inc. NY. ISBN:978-1-60876-450-1. PP.83-109
3.B.Perera and J.M.C.K. Jayawardan a (2011) Social determinants of health inequalities.(Eds.H.M Bandara and K.R.H.L. Gunesekara). Essays in Social Sciences: “Modelling Social Phenomena for the 21st Century.” Godage International Publishers, Sri Lanka pp17- 22. ISBN:978-955-30- 3226-3
4. W.D.T.M Gunawardhana, J.M.C.K Jayawardhana, E.P.N Udayakumara. Spatial and Temporal Variation of Water Quality and BioindicatorsinBaduluOya; Implications of catchment impacts. Journal of National Science Foundation (under review)
5. J.M.C.K. Jayawardana, W.D.T.M.Gunawardana, E.P.N. Udayakumara and M. Westbrooke (2016). Land use impacts on river health in the Uma oya Sri Lanka: Implications of spatial scales. Journal of Environment monitoring and Assessment. (Springer)189:192-215.
6. J.M.C.K. Jayawardana, T.R. Jayathunga and E.A. Edirisinghe (2016). Water quality of Nilwala River, Sri Lanka in relation to land use practices. Sri Lanka Journal of Aquatic Sciences 21(2): 77-94
7. J.M.C.K Jayawardana (2015). A novel littoral habitat from a riparian invader: Implications on stream secondary production and riparian management. The Victorian Naturalist 132 (4) 96-107.
8. J.M.C.K Jayawardana C. Rubasinghe, D.N.M. Dahanayaka and S. Pilapitiya (2013). An evaluation of breeding conditions of flies and optimum food waste rations for effective composting in municipal solid waste composting site in Southern Sri Lanka. The International Journal of Environment and Waste Management (IJEWM). 12 (4),364-381.
9. J.M.C.K Jayawardana (2011). Littoral macroinvertebrates in relation to native and exotic riparian vegetation in streams of central Victoria, Australia. International Journal of Energy Environment and Economics 19 (6), 635-655.
10. J.M.C.K Jayawardana, Martin Westbrooke and Michel Wilson. (2010) Leaf litter decomposition and utilisation by macroinvertebrates in a central Victorian River in Australia. The Victorian Naturalist 127(4), 104-114.
11. J.M.C.K Jayawardana and Martin Westbrooke. (2010) Effects of riparian vegetation changes on functional organization of macroinvertebrates in central Victorian streams, Australia. The Victorian Naturalist 127(2)36-46.
12. B.Perera, M.R. Torabi, C. Jayawardana and R. Perera (2010) Knowledge of and attitudes toward smoking, smoking patterns and perceived stress in Sri Lankan undergraduates. International Journal of Child Health and Human Development 3 (1), 49-56.
13. Perera, B. Ostbye T, Jayawardana C. K. (2009) Neighbourhood environment and self-rated health among adults in Southern Sri Lanka, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health , 6, 2102-2112.
14. J.M.C.K Jayawardana, Martin Westbrooke, Michael Wilson and Cameron Hurst (2006). Macroinvertebrate communities in Phragmites australis (Cav.) Trin. Ex Steud. reed beds and open bank habitats in central Victorian streams in Australia. Hydrobiologia 568,169-185.
15. J.M.C.K Jayawardana, Martin Westbrooke, Michael Wilson and Cameron Hurst (2006). Macroinvertebrate communities in willow (Salix spp.) and reed beds (Phragmites australis ) in central Victorian streams in Australia. Marine and Freshwater Research 57, 429-439.
16. J.M.C.K Jayawardana and U.Edirisinghe, L.P. Silva and K.G. Nandasena (2001). A case study on physical and biological factors in relation to mosquito emergence in abandoned gempits in Elahera, Sri Lanka. Tropical Agricultural Research 13, 401 - 410.
17. J.M.C.K Jayawardana and U.Edirisinghe (2000). Morphology, Biology and Predatory efficiency of Poecilia reticulata for mosquito larvae. Tropical Agricultural Research 12,308 -315.
18. J.MC.K.Jayawardana and M.V.E. Attygala (1999). Osmoragulation of some fishes from the Bolgoda Estuary. Vidyodaya Journal of Science, 1, 65 -75.
CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS AND ABSTRACTS
19. Gunawardhana W.D.T.M, Jayawardhana J.M.C.K, Udayakumara E.P.N. (2015), Impacts of agricultural practices on water quality in Uma Oya catchment area in Sri Lanka. Elsevier Procedia Food Science, (6) 339–343
20. Wickramasinghe, Y.H.S.D. and Jayawardane, J.M.C.K.(2015). Potential of Eichhornia crassipes, Pistia stratiotes and Salvinia molesta in Phytoremediation of Textile Waste Water. Annual Research Symposium, University of Colombo, October, 2015
21. Gunawardhana W.D.T.M, Jayawardana J.M.C.K, Udayakumara E.P.N (2015), Impacts of intensive agricultural practices on water quality in Uma Oya catchment area in Sri Lanka, 5th International Conference of Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka (ICSUSL 2015)
22. Gunawardhana W.D.T.M, Jayawardana J.M.C.K, Udayakumara E.P.N (2015), Relationship between catchment land-use practices and stream water quality in Uma Oya catchment, PGIS Research Congress 2015, University of Peradeniya
23. Gunawardhana W.D.T.M, Jayawardhana J.M.C.K, Udayakumara E.P.N. (2016), Impacts of agricultural practices on water quality in Badulu Oya catchment area in Sri Lanka. Fifth International Symposium on Water Quality and Human Health : Challenges Ahead 05-06 August 2016, PGIA, University of Peradeniya.
24. W.D.T.M Gunawardhana, J.M.C.K. Jayawardane ,S.V.Dias , S.A.M.S Disanayaka (2013), A Cost Effective Laboratory Scale Seeding Culture for BOD Testing in Wastewater Analysis, 69th Annual Scientific Sessions 2013, Sri Lanka Association of Advancement Science
25. R.M.G.N. Rajapaksha, U. Edirisinghe, J.M.C.K. Jayawardana, S.C. Jayamanne (2016). Spatial and Temporal Variation of Physico-chemical Parameters of Water in Badulu-oya Upper Catchment Area. Proceedings of the 6th Research Symposium of Uva Wellassa University, January 28-29, 2016. p130
26. R M G N Rajapaksha, U Edirisinghe, J M C K Jayawardana and S C Jayamanne (2016). Impacts of habitat quality variation on ichthyofaunal diversity in upper catchment area of Badulu-oya, Sri Lanka. Second global summit on Aquaculture & Fisheries July 11-13, 2016 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
27. Rajapaksha RMGN, Edirisinghe U., Jayawardana JMCK and Jayamannna S.C. (2016) Survey on agrochemical usage and surface water contamination in upper catchment area of Badulu Oya. Proceedings of the Wayamba University International Conference, sri Lanka, 1 9-20 August 2016
28. Rajapaksha RMGN, Edirisinghe U., Jayawardana JMCK and Jayamannna S.C. (2016) Assessment of spatial variation of ichthyofaunal diversity in Upper catchment area of Badullu- oya, Badulla district, Sri Lanka. The 3rd International Conference on Fisheries and Aquaculture (ICFA 2016), 24 – 25 August, 2016 Negombo, Sri Lanka. The International Institute of Knowledge Management (TIIKM)
29. Rajapaksha RMGN, Edirisinghe U., Jayawardana JMCK and Jayamannna S.C. (2016) Spatial and temporal variation of heavy metal contamination in upper catchment area of Badulu-Oya. South Asian Symposium on Sustainable Environment Management 2016 University of Peradeniya 17- 18 March 2016
30. Rajapaksha RMIS, EPN Udayakumara and JMCK Jayawardana (2016). Nitrogen and Phosphorus dynamics and water purification ability of vegetation and soil in Uma Oya catchment. Proceeding of the International Symposium on Agriculture and Environment 2016 ISAE 2016. pp 118-120
31. WMNS Wijesinghe, JMCK Jayawardana and EPN Udayakumara (2016). Effect of soil erosion on water quality of streams in Badulu Oya watershed in Sri Lanka. Proceeding of the International Symposium on Agriculture and Environment 2016 ISAE 2016. pp133-136.
32.RNN Weerasinghe, JMCK Jayawardana and EPN Udayakumara (2016). Quontitative assessment of soil erosion and its association with river health in Uma Oya watershed in Sri Lanka. Proceeding of the International Symposium on Agriculture and Environment 2016 ISAE 2016. pp137-140.
33. RNN Weerasinghe, EPN Udayakumara and JMCK Jayawardana (2016). Human interventions towards soil erosion in Uma Oya watershed Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the Wayamba University International Conference, 19-20 August 2016
34. Hirimuthugoda, N.Y., Jayawardena, J.M.C.K., Walpita C.N., Atauda,A.S.B., Chintake, P.A.C.T. and Edirisinghe U (2011). Fisheries Biotechnology of Sri Lanka; past, present and the future. (Country paper.) Proceedings of 16th International Conference on Biotechnology in Animal Reproduction, held in Kandy Sri Lanka on 4th and 5th of August 2011.pp 99- 104.
35. Madurangi, T.K.D., Jayawardana, J.M.C.K., Azmy, S.A.M. and Weerasekara, K.A.W.S. (2013) Investigation of alien marine phytoplankton in the ballast water of ships visiting Colombo harbour. Fourth International Symposium “Harnessing knowledge through research to address emerging global issues, 11th-12th January 2013, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
36. Wickramasinghe, Y.H.S.D., Jayawardana, J.M.C.K., Azmy, S.A.M. and Weerasekara, K.A.W.S. (2013) A survey of zooplanktons in ballast water of ships visiting Colombo harbour and the surrounding area. Fourth International Symposium “Harnessing knowledge through research to address emerging global issues, 11th-12th January 2013, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
37. R.T.Nilusha , J.M.C.K. Jayawardane , S.A.M. Azmy and K.A.W.S. Weerasekara (2012). Preliminary study on variations of water quality in selected water bodies in the Anuradhapura District in Ileperuma, O.A., Priyantha, N., Navaratne, A., Yatigammana, S.K. & Weragoda, S.K. (editors): Symposium Proceedings, International Symposium on Water Quality and Human Health: Challenges Ahead, 22-23 March,2012, PGIS, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
38. Chandramali Jayawardana, Ramani Perera and Bilesha Perera (2012). Environment and physically active behavior among elders in Sri Lanka. 2nd International congress on Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine New Delhi,India 24-29 February 2012.
39. Torabi, R, Perera B, Kay N, & Jayawardana C. K. (2009). Associations between suicidal behavior and alcohol and other drug use among undergraduates. XII International congress of International Federation of Psychiatric Epidemiology, April 16-19, 2009, Vienna, Austria.
40. Perera, B., Jayawardana, CK & Perera. R. (2009). Prevalence and correlates of smoking amongundergraduates in Sri Lanka, 14th WCTOH Conference, 8-13 March, 2009, Mumbai, India.
41. Perera, B, Torabi, M. R., & Jayawardana, C. K. (2008). Epidemiological aspects of suicidal risks among undergraduates in Sri Lanka, The 2008 World Psychiatric Association Public Health Section Conference, May 11-14, 2008, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.
42. S.S.R.M.D.H.R Wijesekara, A. C. Shamendra, J.M.C.K Jayawardana and N. Premathileka (2009) The leachate quality analysis for compost producing solid waste management plant. First National symposium on Natural Resources Management NRM 2009 ON “ Sustainable utilisation of Natural Resources for National Development” 29th-30th August 2009, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
43. V.D.C.N Vithana, C.D.A.M.P.A Dissanayaka, C. Jayawardana, B. Perera, U.Edirisinghe (2008). Different methodologies used for fishery management in perrenial reservoirs in North Western Province of Sri Lanka. Second International Symposium “ Modelling the issues and challenges towards sustainalble development” 8-12 th July 2008. Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
44. J.M.C.K Jayawardana (2005). Effect of riparian vegetation changes on macroinvertebrate communities in Central Victorian streams. Proceedings of 44rd Annual conference, Australian Society of Limnology, Hobart, Tasmania. pp.36
45. J.M.C.K Jayawardana (2005). Effect of riparian vegetation changes on macroinvertebrate communities in central Victorian streams. Proceedings of the University of Ballarat annual Research conference. Graduate Centre, University of Ballarat, Australia. Pp.63
46. Chandramali Jayawardana (2004). Habitat value of willow (Salix spp.) and consequences of removal for macroinvertebrate communities. Proceedings of 43rd Annual conference, Australian Society of Limnology, Adelaide, Australia. pp. 49.
47. J.M.C.K Jayawardana and Michael Wilson (2003).Invertebrates of willow and tea tree root mats in rivers of contrasting health. (Abstract) Proceedings of the University of Ballarat annual Research conference. Graduate Centre, University of Ballarat. Australia pp. 39
48. Michael Wilson, Minal Khan, Heath Cameron, Paul Jaskerniak, Chandramali Jayawardana (2003). Willow root mats: Exotic habitat for native fish. (Abstract) Proceedings of annual conference of Australian Society for Fish Biology, New Zealand.
49. J.M.C.K Jayawardana (2001). A case study on physical and biological factors in relation to mosquito emergence in abandoned gem pits in Elahera, Sri Lanka." at the 13th Annual Congress, 2001 Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
50. J.M.C.K Jayawardana (2000). "Morphology, Biology and Predatory efficiency of Poecilia reticulata for mosquito larvae" at the 12th Annual Congress,2000 Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
51. J.M.C.K Jayawardana (1996). Osmoregulation of some fishes from the Bolgoda estuary." at the Institute of Biology, Sri Lanka Annual Sessions in 1996.
52. C. Rubasinghe, D.N.M. Dhanayake J.M.C.K.Jayawardena, S. Pilapitiya (2010) An evaluation of breeding conditions of flies and optimum food waste rations for effective composting in municipal solid waste composting site in Southern Sri Lanka. Third International Symposium “New Horizons in Humanities & Sciences towards Sustainable Development” InSym-SUSL 2010 , 26th,27th and 28th August 2010, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.