Dr. Saman Koswatte
PhD (USQ Australia - Spatial Sciences), MPhil (PDN - Earth Sciences), BSc (SUSL - Surveying Sciences)
I am a Senior Lecturer attached to the department of Remote Sensing and GIS, Faculty of Geomatics. Highly skilled in ungraduate and graduate teaching and conducting research in the field of Geomatics. Over fourteen years of experience both in academic and technical aspects. Expertise in the areas of Geospatial semantics, Crowdsourcing, Spatial Data Infrastructures, Land surveying, Survey computations, GIS, Web and Mobile GIS, and Automated Surveying Systems.
Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
- Surveyors Board Queensland, Graduate Surveyor since 2014
- International Geospatial Society (IGS), member since 2013
- Geo-Informatics Society of Sri Lanka (GISSL), member since 2008
Crowdsourced (CSD) data quality, Geospatial Semantics and Ontologies, Spatial Data Infrastructures (SDI)
- McDougall, K and Koswatte, S (2018), The future of authoritative geospatial data in the big data world – trends, opportunities and challenges, Workshop and Annual Meeting on SPATIAL INFORMATION IN THE ERA OF DATA SCIENCE: CHALLENGES AND PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS, FIG Commission 3, 3-6 December, Napoli, Italy.
- Koswatte, S., McDougall, K. and Liu, X., (2018). Relevance assessment of crowdsourced data (CSD) using semantics and geographic information retrieval (GIR) techniques. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 7(7), p.256.
- Saman Koswatte, Kevin, McDougall and Xiaoye Liu, 2017, Quality assessment of VGI and CSD using semantics and Geographical Information Retrieval techniques, Workshop and Annual Meeting, Volunteered Geographic Information: Emerging Applications in Public Science and Citizen Participation, 27-30 November 2017, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Saman Koswatte, Kevin, McDougall and Xiaoye Liu, 2017, VGI and crowdsourced data credibility analysis using spam email detection techniques’, International Journal of Digital Earth, pp 1-13.
- Saman Koswatte, Kevin, McDougall and Xiaoye Liu, 2016, Semantic Location Extraction from Crowdsourced Data, ISPRS-International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, pp 543-547.
- Saman Koswatte, Kevin McDougall and Xiaoye Liu (2015) SDI and Crowdsourced Spatial Information Management Automation for Disaster Management, Survey Review, Volume 47, Issue 344 (September 2015), pp. 307-315
- Saman Koswatte, Kevin McDougall and Xiaoye Liu (2014) SDI and Crowdsourced Spatial Information Management Automation for Disaster Management, FIG Commission 3 Workshop – 2014 November, Bologna, Italy
- Saman Koswatte, Kevin McDougall and Xiaoye Liu (2014) Ontology driven VGI filtering to empower next generation SDIs for disaster management, Research at Locate 14 Conference – 2014 April, Canberra, Australia
- Saman Koswatte, Jagath Gunatilake and Gamini Wijayaratne (2012) Geo Information Powered Sri Lanka: Today’s GI Challenges for better Future, International Symposium 2012 – Technology International Research Symposium (TIRS), Pioneer Institute of Business and Technology (PIBT) – Sri Lanka and School of Computing and Mathematics (CMC) University of Greenwich - United Kingdom