- BSc (Hons) in Food Science and Technology (GPA 3.69 out of 4.00), Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka (2010)
- Master of Biomedical Engineering (GPA 3.94 out of 4.00), Wuhan University of Technology, P.R. China (2016)
Academic Merits, Scholarships, and Awards
- Presidential Award for Scientific Publication 2016. It is an award will be given to each of the top 100 papers published in journals with the highest SCImago Journal Ranking (SJR), in which 20% or more of the authors of the publication are Sri Lankan scientists with a Sri Lankan institutional affiliation.
- National Research Council (NRC) Merit Award for scientific publications for 2015 for the research paper authored as the lead author. NRC Merit Awards for Scientific Publications recognize outstanding research published in prestigious scientific journals by Sri Lankan scientists whose work has reached international standards.
- The Scientific Achievements Award for the Publications Wuhan University of Technology, 2015/2016 P.R. China
- First Prize of Friendship Scholarship at Wuhan University of Technology based on excellent academic performance consecutively three academic years 2013/2014, 2014/2015, and 2015/2016
- The distinguished International Student Award in 2015/2016 by Chinese Scholarship Council, P.R. China
As an undergrad, I discovered that being a food scientist was a great way to apply basic scientific principles to everyday life. By its very nature, food science is an interdisciplinary field; it deals with the chemistry, biochemistry and nutritive values of foods. This interdisciplinary nature appealed to me right away. My motivation and desire to pursue exercise biochemistry and sports nutrition as a career really developed during my time as a graduate student at the Wuhan University of Technology, where I was fortunate to train in the lab of biochemical analysis. I also gained an understanding of the metabolic alterations that occurred with exercise training, and the applications that this had for both health and performance.
I have always had a passion for sport; as an athlete, and a fan. To me, however, it was never enough to simply understand who was the best based on their performance - I needed to understand why. What was it about a given athlete and their individual training or inherited physiology that gave them an edge? Similarly, I've long had an interest in understanding how the lifestyle decisions we make on a day-to-day basis (e.g. choice of food, physical activity participation, choice of sport) affect our current health and performance.
- Human Nutrition and Sport Nutrition
- Metabolism and Exercise
- Nutritional Ergogenic Aids
- Biochemical Monitoring of Sport Training
- Physical Activity and Public Health
Current Research Projects
2016 to present: co-investigator - Impact of energy balance and physical activity changes on body composition and physical fitness during the university years of Sports Sciences undergraduates in Sri Lanka - funded by Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka
Google Scholar profile - Thalagalage Shalika Harshani Perera
Full papers published in indexed journals
- Li, F., Xing, Q., Han, Y., Li, Y., Wang, W., Perera, T.S.H. and Dai, H., (2017). Ultrasonically assisted preparation of poly (acrylic acid)/calcium phosphate hybrid nanogels as pH-responsive drug carriers. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 80, 688-697.
- Y Xie, W He, F Li, TSH Perera, L Gan, Y Han, X Wang, S Li, H Dai (2016), Luminescence Enhanced Eu3+/Gd3+ Co-Doped Hydroxyapatite Nanocrystals as Imaging Agents In Vitro and In Vivo, ACS applied materials & interfaces 8, 16, 10212-10219
- T.S.H. Perera, Yingchao Han, Xiaofei Lu, XinyuWang, Honglian Dai, and Shipu Li (2015) Rare Earth Doped Apatite Nanomaterials for Biological Application. Review article, Article ID 705390, Journal of Nanomaterials, Hindawi Publishing Corporation
- Y Xie, TSH Perera, F Li, Y Han, M Yin (2015) Quantitative Detection method of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles based on Eu3+ Fluorescent Labeling In-vivo and In-vitro, ACS Applied Material Interfaces, 7, 23815-23823
Full papers published in non-indexed refereed journals
- WAWS Rupasinghe, TSH Perera, S and Sriharan (2015) A study on the relationship between competitive state anxiety and shooting accuracy of school-level Netball shooters in Gampaha District, Sri Lanka, The IUP Journal of Soft Skills, Vol. IX, No.1, 2015
Publication as abstract in National and International Conferences
- T.S.H. Perera, Y.C. Han, (2016) Preparation and Surface Modification of Europium Doping Hydroxyapatite Luminescent Nanoparticles for Cell Labeling, 6th Annual Reseach Session, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka
- Y.C. Han, Y.F. Xie, T.S.H. Perera, F. Li, S.P. Li, (2015) Preparation of nanostructured HAP via an ultrasound-induced albumin gelation process, The 9th International conference on high-performance ceramics, Nov 4-7 2015, Guilin, CP.R. China
- F. Li, Y.F. Xie, T.S.H Perera, Z.Q. Li, J.L. Yang, Y.C. Han and S.P.Li (2015) Application of Calcium Phosphate nanoparticles as drug carriers, The 9th International conference on high-performance ceramics, Nov 4-7 2015, Guilin, CP.R. China
- Xiaofei Lu, T.S.H. Perera, Yingchao Han, et al..(2014) Preparation and application of PAA-stabilized calcium phosphate nanoparticles for drug delivery (口头报告). The 14th Asian BioCeramic Symposium, Shanghai, P.R. China
- W.A.W.S. Rupasinghe, T.S.H. Perera and S. Sriharan (2014) Trends in competitive state anxiety and shooting accuracy in Gampaha District school level netball shooters, Third International Symposium, Eastern University, Sri Lanka
- R.M. Kapila Tharanga Rathnayaka, T.S.H. Perera and Zhong-jun (2013) Factors influencing Human Dietary patterns With Especial Reference to Bandarawela Area. Fourth International Symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka
- T.S.H. Perera, M.C.N. Jayasooriya. and L.L.W.C. Yalegama (2010) Determination of Fatty Acid profile in Oil Cake using Gas Chromatography Technique, Third International Symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka