Professor M Esham
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Tottori University, Japan
Master of Business Administration (MBA), University of Sri Jayewardenapura, Sri Lanka
Bachelor of Science (BSc), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Mohamed Esham joined the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka in 1996 and was a founder academic staff member. He obtained a Ph.D. in Agribusiness Management at Tottori University, Japan in 2006. He has done post-doctoral research at Tottori University, University of Reading and at the University of Technology Sydney. He has received a number of prestigious international awards including the Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellowship, Japan Foundation Fellowship, Japan Student Services Organization Fellowship, Australian Endeavour Fellowship, and the Experts for Asia award from the European Union. His research interests include entrepreneurship, agribusiness, climate change and food security. Esham has published over 35 peer-reviewed papers in the areas of agribusiness and climate change. Esham has served as the Dean of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences and the Head of the Department of Agribusiness Management at the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
Current Research Projects
Towards Phosphorus and Climate Smart Agriculture (PACSA) in Sri Lanka
Cinnamon value chain development
Towards food security in Sri Lanka: A framework to strengthen the adaptive capacity of food value chains to climate change
- Esham, M., Jacobs, B., Rosairo, H.S.R. et al. (2017). Climate change and food security: a Sri Lankan perspective. Environ Dev Sustain. doi:10.1007/s10668-017-9945-5
- Tolno, E., Kobayashi, H., Ichizen, M., Esham, M., Balde, B. S. (2016). Potato Production and Supply by Smallholder Farmers in Guinea: An Economic Analysis Asian Journal of Agricultural Extension, Economics & Sociology, 8(3), 1-16.
- Tolno, E., Kobayashi, H., Ichizen, M., Esham, M., Balde, B. S. (2015). Economic Analysis of the Role of Farmer Organizations in Enhancing Smallholder Potato Farmers’ Income in Middle Guinea. Journal of Agricultural Science, 7(3), 123-137.
- Esham, M. (2014). Technical Efficiency and Determinants of Maize Production by Smallholder Farmers in the Moneragala District of Sri Lanka. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5(27), 416-422.
- Balde, B. S., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Esham, M. (2014) A Stochastic Frontier Approach for Measuring Technical Efficiency of Small-scale Improved Salt production in Guinea. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 11(8), 1310.
- Esham, M. and Gosforth, C. (2013): Agricultural adaptation to climate change: insights from a farming community in Sri Lanka. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change.18 (5), 535-549.
- Esham, M. and Garforth, C. (2013): Climate change and agricultural adaptation in Sri Lanka: a review. Climate and Development. 5(1), 66-76.
- Balde, B. S., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I.and Esham, M. (2013): Land Use Changes and their Determinants in the Coastal Area of Guinea: A Study based on Spatial Analysis and Field Survey. Japanese Journal of Farm Management. 51(3), 97-102.
- Balde, B. S., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Esham, M. (2013): Analysis of Small-Scale Salt Production Techniques in the Coastal Area of Guinea: An Alternative for Improving Livelihood Status and Mangrove Forest Management. International Journal of Research in Management, Economics and Commerce. 3(9), 1-23.
- Esham, M. and Kobayashi, H. (2013): Farmer Companies in Sri Lanka: Lessons from Agricultural Cooperatives in Japan Millennial Asia 4(2), 117–133.
- Esham, M., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Alam, A. (2012): Japanese Agricultural Cooperatives at Crossroads: A Review American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci. 12 (07), 943-953.
- Esham, M. (2012): Lessons for Farmer Based Organizations (FBO) in Sri Lanka: Experiences from Agricultural Cooperatives (JA) in Japan. Journey of Harmony (Commutative volume). University of Colombo Sri Lanka.
- Alam, A., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I., Ishida, A. and Mohamed, E. (2012): Technical efficiency and its determinants in potato production: evidence from northern areas in Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan. International Journal of Research in Management, Economics and Commerce 2 (3), 1-17.
- Esham, M. (2012): Is Outward Bound Training (OBT) An Effective Tool for Human Resource Development (HRD)? A Case Study from Sri Lanka. International Journal of Contemporary Business Studies 3 (4), 42-50.
- Wen, J, Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Mohamed, E.. (2012): Adoption of accounting software by agro-based enterprises in China. International Journal of Research in Engineering, IT and Social Sciences 2(2), 82-99.
- Arif, A., Kobayashi, H., Matsuda, T., Ishida, A. and Esham, M. (2012): Stochastic frontier approach to measure technical efficiency of two irrigation systems in Gilgit district, Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan. Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment. 10 (1), 543-550.
- Alam, A., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Esham, M. (2012): Factors Influencing Farmers’ Participation in Participatory Irrigation Management: A Comparative Study of two Irrigation Systems in Northern Areas of Pakistan
Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences 3 (9), 275-284.
- Alam, A., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Esham, M. (2011): A comparative economic analysis of crop production between improved and traditional irrigation system: a case study of a village from Gilgit district in northern areas of Pakistan
Journal of rural problems. 47 (1), 132-137.
- Esham, M. (2009): A Comparative Study of Farmers-Agribusiness Linkages in Sri Lanka. American-Eurasian Journal of Agric. & Environmental Sciences. 6(5), 600-608.
- Esham, M. and Usami, K. (2007) Evaluating the Performance of Farmer Companies in Sri Lanka: A Case Study of Ridi Bendi Ela Farmer Company. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 3(2), 86-100.
- Esham, M., Usami, K., Kobayashi, H. and Matsumura I. (2006): An Economic Study of Contract Farming in the Fruit and Vegetable Industry in Sri Lanka: A Case Study of Gherkin (Cucumis sativus) Production. Journal of Rural Problems. 42(1), 14-23.
- Esham, M., Kobayashi, H., Usami, K. and Matsumura I. (2006): Factors Influencing Crop Diversification in Sri Lanka. Japanese Journal of Farm Management. 44(1), 148-152
- Perez, J. M., Kobayashi, H., Sato, T., Matsumura, I. and Esham, M. (2006): Export-oriented Asian Vegetable Production in Comayagua Region, Honduras and its Influence on Land Use. Japanese Journal of Farm Management. 44(1), 138-143.
- Esham, M. and Usami, K. (2006): Procurement Behaviour of the Fruit and Vegetable Industry in Sri Lanka. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 2(3), 36-44.
- Najim, M.M.M, T.S. Lee, T.S, Haque Aminul, M. and Esham, M. (2006): Sustainability of Rice Production: A Malaysian perspective. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 3(1), 1-12.
- Esham, M., Usami, K., Kobayashi, H. and Matsumura, I. (2005): Present State and Issues of a Farmers Agribusiness Linkage in Sri Lanka: A Case Study of Gherkin Production, Japanese Journal of Farm Management. 43(1), 137-142.
- Esham, M., Usami, K., Kobayashi, H. and Matsumura I. (2005): Determinants of Farmers’ Participation in Farmers-Agribusiness Linkage and Its Implication for Income Distribution in Sri Lanka - A Case Study of Hybrid Maize Production, Journal of Rural Problems. 41(1), 200-205.
- Esham, M. and Usami, K. (2005): Present State and Issues of Farmers-Agribusiness Linkages through Farmer Organization/Group in Sri Lanka: A Case Study of Hybrid Maize Production, Journal of Agricultural Development Studies. 16(2), 27-36.
- Esham, M. (2004): The Role of Social Networks in the Entrepreneurial Performance of Small & Medium Scale Entrepreneurs in the Ratnapura District, Sabaragamuwa University Journal. 4(1), 18-33.