Professor M Esham
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Tottori University, Japan
Master of Business Administration (MBA), University of Sri Jayewardenapura, Sri Lanka
Bachelor of Science (BSc), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Mohamed Esham joined the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka in 1996 and was a founder academic staff member. He obtained his Ph.D. in Agribusiness Management from Tottori University Japan. He was a postdoctoral fellow at Tottori University Japan, University of Reading United Kingdom, University of Technology Sydney Australia and the University of Vermont in the USA. He is a recipient of a number of prestigious international awards including the Fulbright Fellowship, Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellowship, Australian Endeavour Fellowship, Japan Foundation Fellowship, Japanese Monbukagakusho Fellowship, Japan Student Services Organization Fellowship and the Experts for Asia award from the European Union. His research interests include entrepreneurship, agribusiness, climate change, and food security. Esham has published extensively in peer-reviewed papers in the areas of agribusiness and climate change. Esham has served as the Dean of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences and the Head of the Department of Agribusiness Management at the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka. He has also served as a consultant for ILO, World Bank, UNIDO and Rainforest Alliance.
Current Research Projects
- From urban waste to sustainable value chains: Linking sanitation and agriculture through innovative partnerships
- Towards Phosphorus and Climate Smart Agriculture (PACSA) in Sri Lanka
- Cinnamon value chain development
- Towards food security in Sri Lanka: A framework to strengthen the adaptive capacity of food value chains to climate change
- Esham, M., Rosairo, H.S.R., Wijeratne, A.W. (2018). Future of Work for Tea Smallholders in Sri Lanka. International Labour Organization, ILO Country Office for Sri Lanka and the Maldives.
- Esham, M., Jacobs, B., Rosairo, H.S.R. et al. (2017). Climate change and food security: a Sri Lankan perspective. Environ Dev Sustain. doi:10.1007/s10668-017-9945-5
- Tolno, E., Kobayashi, H., Ichizen, M., Esham, M., Balde, B. S. (2016). Potato Production and Supply by Smallholder Farmers in Guinea: An Economic Analysis Asian Journal of Agricultural Extension, Economics & Sociology, 8(3), 1-16.
- Tolno, E., Kobayashi, H., Ichizen, M., Esham, M., Balde, B. S. (2015). Economic Analysis of the Role of Farmer Organizations in Enhancing Smallholder Potato Farmers’ Income in Middle Guinea. Journal of Agricultural Science, 7(3), 123-137.
- Esham, M. (2014). Technical Efficiency and Determinants of Maize Production by Smallholder Farmers in the Moneragala District of Sri Lanka. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5(27), 416-422.
- Balde, B. S., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Esham, M. (2014) A Stochastic Frontier Approach for Measuring Technical Efficiency of Small-scale Improved Salt production in Guinea. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 11(8), 1310.
- Esham, M. and Gosforth, C. (2013): Agricultural adaptation to climate change: insights from a farming community in Sri Lanka. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change.18 (5), 535-549.
- Esham, M. and Garforth, C. (2013): Climate change and agricultural adaptation in Sri Lanka: a review. Climate and Development. 5(1), 66-76.
- Balde, B. S., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I.and Esham, M. (2013): Land Use Changes and their Determinants in the Coastal Area of Guinea: A Study based on Spatial Analysis and Field Survey. Japanese Journal of Farm Management. 51(3), 97-102.
- Balde, B. S., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Esham, M. (2013): Analysis of Small-Scale Salt Production Techniques in the Coastal Area of Guinea: An Alternative for Improving Livelihood Status and Mangrove Forest Management. International Journal of Research in Management, Economics and Commerce. 3(9), 1-23.
- Esham, M. and Kobayashi, H. (2013): Farmer Companies in Sri Lanka: Lessons from Agricultural Cooperatives in Japan Millennial Asia 4(2), 117–133.
- Esham, M., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Alam, A. (2012): Japanese Agricultural Cooperatives at Crossroads: A Review American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci. 12 (07), 943-953.
- Esham, M. (2012): Lessons for Farmer Based Organizations (FBO) in Sri Lanka: Experiences from Agricultural Cooperatives (JA) in Japan. Journey of Harmony (Commutative volume). University of Colombo Sri Lanka.
- Alam, A., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I., Ishida, A. and Mohamed, E. (2012): Technical efficiency and its determinants in potato production: evidence from northern areas in Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan. International Journal of Research in Management, Economics and Commerce 2 (3), 1-17.
- Esham, M. (2012): Is Outward Bound Training (OBT) An Effective Tool for Human Resource Development (HRD)? A Case Study from Sri Lanka. International Journal of Contemporary Business Studies 3 (4), 42-50.
- Wen, J, Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Mohamed, E.. (2012): Adoption of accounting software by agro-based enterprises in China. International Journal of Research in Engineering, IT and Social Sciences 2(2), 82-99.
- Arif, A., Kobayashi, H., Matsuda, T., Ishida, A. and Esham, M. (2012): Stochastic frontier approach to measure technical efficiency of two irrigation systems in Gilgit district, Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan. Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment. 10 (1), 543-550.
- Alam, A., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Esham, M. (2012): Factors Influencing Farmers’ Participation in Participatory Irrigation Management: A Comparative Study of two Irrigation Systems in Northern Areas of Pakistan
Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences 3 (9), 275-284.
- Alam, A., Kobayashi, H., Matsumura, I. and Esham, M. (2011): A comparative economic analysis of crop production between improved and traditional irrigation system: a case study of a village from Gilgit district in northern areas of Pakistan
Journal of rural problems. 47 (1), 132-137.
- Esham, M. (2009): A Comparative Study of Farmers-Agribusiness Linkages in Sri Lanka. American-Eurasian Journal of Agric. & Environmental Sciences. 6(5), 600-608.
- Esham, M. and Usami, K. (2007) Evaluating the Performance of Farmer Companies in Sri Lanka: A Case Study of Ridi Bendi Ela Farmer Company. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 3(2), 86-100.
- Esham, M., Usami, K., Kobayashi, H. and Matsumura I. (2006): An Economic Study of Contract Farming in the Fruit and Vegetable Industry in Sri Lanka: A Case Study of Gherkin (Cucumis sativus) Production. Journal of Rural Problems. 42(1), 14-23.
- Esham, M., Kobayashi, H., Usami, K. and Matsumura I. (2006): Factors Influencing Crop Diversification in Sri Lanka. Japanese Journal of Farm Management. 44(1), 148-152
- Perez, J. M., Kobayashi, H., Sato, T., Matsumura, I. and Esham, M. (2006): Export-oriented Asian Vegetable Production in Comayagua Region, Honduras and its Influence on Land Use. Japanese Journal of Farm Management. 44(1), 138-143.
- Esham, M. and Usami, K. (2006): Procurement Behaviour of the Fruit and Vegetable Industry in Sri Lanka. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 2(3), 36-44.
- Najim, M.M.M, T.S. Lee, T.S, Haque Aminul, M. and Esham, M. (2006): Sustainability of Rice Production: A Malaysian perspective. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 3(1), 1-12.
- Esham, M., Usami, K., Kobayashi, H. and Matsumura, I. (2005): Present State and Issues of a Farmers Agribusiness Linkage in Sri Lanka: A Case Study of Gherkin Production, Japanese Journal of Farm Management. 43(1), 137-142.
- Esham, M., Usami, K., Kobayashi, H. and Matsumura I. (2005): Determinants of Farmers’ Participation in Farmers-Agribusiness Linkage and Its Implication for Income Distribution in Sri Lanka - A Case Study of Hybrid Maize Production, Journal of Rural Problems. 41(1), 200-205.
- Esham, M. and Usami, K. (2005): Present State and Issues of Farmers-Agribusiness Linkages through Farmer Organization/Group in Sri Lanka: A Case Study of Hybrid Maize Production, Journal of Agricultural Development Studies. 16(2), 27-36.
- Esham, M. (2004): The Role of Social Networks in the Entrepreneurial Performance of Small & Medium Scale Entrepreneurs in the Ratnapura District, Sabaragamuwa University Journal. 4(1), 18-33.
- Consultant to UNIDO project on "Processed food and pepper value chain analysis" 2018.
- Consultant to Rainforest Alliance USA project on "Impact assessment of tea smallholders adoption of sustainable farming practices" 2017-2018.
- Co-investigator "Cinnamon value chain development" Funded by Ministry of Primary Industries Sri Lanka. 2017-2018.
- Co-investigator "Towards phosphorus and climate-smart agriculture (PACSA) in Sri Lanka" - collaborative research project with University of Technology Sydney, Australia. 2016-2017.
- Consultant "Sustainable farming practices by tea smallholders in Sri Lanka" -2015.
- Consultant to World Bank "University-Industry Collaboration in Sri Lanka" 2015.
- Consultant to Provincial Council Central Province "Preparation of Tourism Master Plan of Central Province-Sri Lanka" - 2012.
- Consultant to Sabaragamuwa Provincial Council for preparation of Ratnapura district Sri Lanka development plan-2010.
- Consultant to ILO for the baseline survey on Youth Employment Project I -2008.
- Study on University-Industry Linkages in Sri Lanka, A World Bank sponsored project undertaken by the National Education Commission, Sri Lanka-2007.
- The potential of High-Value Crops, Their Financial and Marketing Feasibility. This feasibility study was carried out for the Sabaragamuwa Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Sri Lanka- 2001.
- Pear revitalization project Uva Province, Sri Lanka. This was a project funded by Government of New Zealand and concluded successfully with the collaboration of Hort-Research of New Zealand- 1997-1999.
Chapters and Books of Scholarly Work
- Larsen, K., Bandara, D. C., Esham, M., & Unantenne, R. (2016). Promoting University-industry Collaboration in Sri Lanka: Status, Case Studies, and Policy Options. World Bank Publications. ISBN 978-1-4648-0929-3.
- Mahaliyanaarachchi, R. P., Rosairo, H. R., & Esham, M. (2004). Potential High-Value Horticultural Crops, Their Financial and Marketing Feasibility. Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Sabaragamuwa, University of Sri Lanka. ISBN 955-644-080-8.
- Esham, M. (2012): Lessons for Farmer Based Organizations (FBO) in Sri Lanka: Experiences from Agricultural Cooperatives (JA) in Japan. In H. D. Karunaratne (Ed.) A Journey in Harmony: Sixty years of Japan - Sri Lanka relation. University of Colombo Sri Lanka. ISBN 978-955-50475-4-8.
Recognized National/International awards for learning, research and teaching
- Fulbright Scholar 2018/2019 University of Vermont, Burlington, USA.
- Australian Endeavour Research Fellowship 2015. Awarded by the Australian Government.
- Erasmus Mundus Experts for Asia Fellowship 2014, University of Turku, Finland
- Japan Foundation Fellowship- 2012.
- Visiting Associate Professor, Tottori University Japan 2010, 2011, 2012
- Commonwealth Fellowship-October, 2010 to March 2011 at the University of Reading, United Kingdom.
- Japan Student Services Organization Fellowship-May, 2010 to August 2010 at Tottori University Japan.
- Japanese Government Scholarship to read for the Doctoral Degree at Tottori University Japan from 2002 to 2006.
- National Research Council Sri Lanka Merit Awards for Scientific Publications in 2013.
- Outstanding researcher 2013- Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka Presidential award fellowship-2002.
Editor-in-Chief of Journals/Editorial Board Member/Program Chair/Reviewer
Editorial Board Member: Journal of Agricultural Sciences
Reviewer: World Development, Global Environmental Change, Journal of Co-operative Organization and Management, Environment, Development and Sustainability, and Weather, Climate and Society.