Professor Mohamed Aslam
PhD in Tourism : University Putra Malaysia, Malaysia , 2014
Organizational Networking for Community Development
Qualitative Research Methodology
Globalization and Modern Society
Resource Recreation and Tourism
Thesis : “Contribution of Tourism to Sustainable Rural Development in Sri Lanka”
M.Sc. in Management - University of Sri Jayewardenepura, 2005
Economics for Management
Quantitative Techniques for Management
Human Resource Management
Management Information System
Organizational Changes and Development
Small Business Management
Dissertation : An Empirical Study on Reasoning for and Determinants of Sustainable Tourism Development (A Case Study of Kandy)
Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (CTHE) Coducted by Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka 2003 / 2004
Certificate in Basic German, Followed at German Cultural Institute, Colombo
B.Sc. in Business Studies - Second Class (Upper Division) Specialized in Tourism Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, 1998
Professor. M.S.M Aslam is a Professor in Tourism Managment attached to the Department of Tourism Management at the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka (SUSL) and also he is the Director of Centre for Research and Knowledge Dissemination (CRKD), SUSL and the Chairman, Board of Postgraduate Studies at Faculty of Management Studies. He took his primary and secondary education at his village school, Nooraniya M.M.V, Uyanwatta, Dewanagala and obtained his bachelor degree B.Sc. Business Studies (Specialization in Tourism Management) from Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka in 1998. He has completed M.Sc. in Management at University of Sri Jayawardenapura in Sri Lanka and obtained his doctoral of philosophy (PhD) in tourism from Universiti Putra Malaysia under the title “Contribution of Tourism to Sustainable Rural Development in Sri Lanka”. He also has worked for a pioneer travel agency/inbound tour operator in Sri Lanka before he joined the university.
Professor Aslam has been teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels a number of subjects such as management process, strategic management, research methodology, tourism planning, resort planning and management, tourism marketing, and tourism resources and recreation, while supporting soft-skills development of the students. He has carried out a number of researches and publication in different areas of tourism, such as role of inbound travel agencies, sustainable tourism development, tea tourism, sustainable rural tourism development, spice and herbs tourism, historic lodging, tourism planning and development, heritage motoring tourism, enterprising rural tourism. Aslam has contributed for a number of popular international and national tourism conferences. He also has published his researches individually and jointly in reputed international journals, such as Journal of Heritage Tourism, Journal of Tourism Policy, International Journal of Economic and Financial Issues. In addition he has contributed chapters for edited books on Spice Tourism, Uncovering the Truths, Motoring Heritage Tourism, and Sustainable Tourism in Global South.
Professor Aslam also serves as a resource person/advisor/consultant for national, provincial, local and community level tourism planning and development in Sri Lanka. He also has contacted a number skill/capacity building workshops and leadership/professional development training for public, private and community stakeholders. He is the chief consultant for five-year tourism development plan 2016-2020 in Ampara and Batticaloa Districts of Sri Lanka and He is also sector consultant for district development of Batticaloa district of Sri Lanka. He serves as national consultant of homestay tourism for Ministry of Tourism in Sri Lanka. He was in the ministry advisory board on community based tourism development in Sri Lanka from 2008 to 2010 and at present he is a member of academic board of Sri Lanka Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management. He was a member of consultant team for development of Five Year Tourism Master Plan 2009-2014 for Sabaragamuwa Province and Integrated Regional Development Plan for Sabaragamuwa Province 2013 - 2018. He has also served as a co-chairman and a member of Scientific Committee for 7th and 8th Tropical Tourism Outlook Conference. He has been recognized and invited by authorities and NGOs as a resource person for a number of capacity building programmes in various parts of the country.
Completed Research Projects
- Khairil Wahidin Awang, Mohamed Aslam, Norol Hamiza Zamzuri, and Arni Abd Gani (2017) Accessing Sustainable Rural Tourism: A Qualitative Analysis of Gomantong Cave, Sabah, Advanced Science Letters. 23 (9): 8047–8050
- M.S.M. Aslam (2017) Potential for Motoring Heritage Tourism in Sri Lanka, in Automobile Heritage Tourism, Eds. Michael Collin and Lee Jolliffe pp. 123-136 Routledge: Oxford
- MSM Aslam, Khairil Awang (2016), Implications of Policies and Procedures in Sustainable Rural Tourism Development (SRTD): A Case Study of Sri Lanka Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka Journal 15(1): 74-95DOI: 10.4038/suslj.v15i1.7708
- MSM Aslam, Khairil Awang, Z. Samdin, and N. Othman (2016) Community Capacity and Participation in Sustainable Rural Tourism Development in Sri Lanka, in Sustainable Tourism Development in Global South; Community, Environment and Experience; Eds. M.S.M. Aslam, Alan A. Lew, Nor’ain Othman and Malcolm Cooper, pp. 28-49, London: Cambridge Scholars Publications
- Aslam, M.S.M., Malcolm J. Cooper, Alan A Lew and Nora’in Hj. Othman, (Eds) (2016) “Sustainable Tourism in Global South: Communities, Environment and Management”, London; Cambridge Scholars Publications.
- Aslam, M.S.M. & Jolliffe, L. (2015). Repurposing colonial tea heritage through historic lodging, Journal of Heritage Tourism, DOI: 10.1080/1743873X.2014.985226
- Aslam, M.S.M. & Awang, K.W. (2015) Enterprising Rural Tourism for Sustainable Rural Development in Sri Lanka, International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 2015, 5(Special Issue) 27-33.
- Aslam, M.S.M. (2015) Role of Governmental and Non-Governmental Organizations in Rural Tourism, in Development and Policy Issues, Ed. H.M. Bandara, pp: 190-119, Colombo: Stamford Publications,
- Aslam, M.S.M. (2015). Concept, Outlook and Operation of Homestay Tourism, Treasure Island, Sept/ October Issue: 27-29.
- Aslam, M.S.M. (2014) The Role of Spices and Herbs Gardens in Sri Lanka, in Spices and Tourism, L. Jolliffe Ed. pp. 109-127, Channelview Publication: Bristol.
- Mahenya, O. and Aslam M.S.M. (2014) Rediscovering Spice Farms as Tourist Attraction in Zanzibar, in Spices and Tourism, L. Jolliffe Ed. pp. 97-108, Channelview Publication: Bristol.
- Aslam, M.S.M., Awang, K.W. and Othman, N (2014), Issues and challenges in nurturing sustainable rural tourism development, Journal of Tourism, Leisure and Global Changes, Vol.1: 75-89.
- Aslam, M.S.M, Awang, K.W., Samdin, Z. and Othman, N. (2014) Community Capacity and Participation in Sustainable Rural Tourism Development in Sri Lanka, Tropical Tourism Outlook Conference: Nature, Culture and Networking for Sustainable Tourism, combining The 7th Tourism Outlook Conference and The 3rd Tropical Coastal and Island Tourism Conference 8th to 10th August 2014 - Heritance Kandalama, Dambulla, Sri Lanka
- Aslam, M.S.M, Awang, K.W., Samdin, Z. (2014), Smart partnership in rural co-operative community development: a case study of SANASA in Sri Lanka, in Uncovering the Truths: A Selection of Qualitative Essays, Eds. Pp. 38-58, Serdang: Universiti Putra Malaysia Press.
- Aslam, M.S.M., Awang, K.W., Samdin, Z. and Othman, N (2014), The vulnerable context of tourism development: evidence from Sri Lanka, International Journal of Tourism Policy, 05(03): 208-228
- Aslam, M.S.M, Awang, K.W. (2013) Capacity building of rural communities through a smart partnership: a case study of SANASA, Thrift and Credit Societies in Sri Lanka. Paper presented at the 4th International Symposium at Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, Belihuloya. January 2013.
- Aslam, M.S.M., Awang, K.W., Samdin, Z. and Othman, N (2012), The obstruction for sustainable tourism development in rural areas, in Current Issues in Hospitality and Tourism: Research and Innovation, Eds. A. Zainal, S.M. Radzi, R. Hashim, C.T. Chik and R. Abu, pp. 625-630, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group: London
- Aslam, M.S.M, Awang, K.W., Samdin, Z. (2012). Pivotal role of qualitative approach in research and investigation in tourism development studies in rural areas, Proceedings of Qualitative Research Conference, November 5-7, 2012. Vol.1 pp. 239-248, University Utara Malaysia: Kedah, Malaysia
- Muhamad Mansoor, Norman Mariun, Napsiah Ismail, Noor Izzri Abdul Wahab, Arash Toudeshki, Rizwan Iqbal, and M.S.M Aslam (2013). "Probing Potential of Knowledge Engineering Support for Electrical Engineers – A Case Study" Life Science Journal 10(2): 2714-2720.
- Aslam, M.S.M. (2011). Role of Alternative Tourism in Rural Sustainable Development, Economic Review, 36 (11 & 12): 33-38.
- Jolliffe, L. and Aslam, M.S.M. (2009) Tea heritage tourism: evidence from Sri Lanka, Journal of Heritage Tourism, 4:4, 331-344, DOI: 10.1080/17438730903186607
- Aslam MSM and Bandara HM (2008) Tourism Education in Sri Lanka, the 2nd International Symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
- Aslam M.S.M, (2007) Integration and Utilization of Heritage Tourism Products in Kandy: A World Heritage City, The 2nd International Conference on Tourism and Hospitality, 30th July – 1st August Marriot Putrajaya, Malaysia.
- Aslam M.S.M., Gnanapala W.K.A.C, (2007)Interlinking and Networking of Rural Tourism Products into a Hub, Toward High Yield of Sustainable Development, A Case Study of Pinnawela, The 2nd International Conference on Tourism and Hospitality, 30th July – 1st August Marriot Putrajaya, Malaysia.
- Aslam M.S.M., (2006), Aligning Tourism with Livelihood and Natural Habitat of Aboriginal (Indigenous) People of Sri Lanka: A Case Study of Veddahs’ Village Dambana, Tenth Anniversary International Symposium, 4th – 8th July Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
- Aslam M.S.M. and Bandara HM (2006) Initiation and Integration of Sustainability in the Tourism Industry of World Heritage Cities of Sri Lanka, A Case Study of Kandy, Tenth Anniversary International Symposium, 4th – 8th July Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka.
- Munasinghe P.K.S, Ratnayake K.M.I. and Aslam M.S.M, (2006) An Analysis of Foreign Tourists Perception on Kandy Esela Perehera (Pageant) as an Attraction, Tenth Anniversary International Symposium, 4th – 8th July Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
- Buultjens J, Ratnayake I, Gnanapala A, Aslam M, (2005), Tourism and its Implications for Management in Ruhuna National Park (Yala) Sri Lanka, Journal of Tourism Management, ELSEVIER, 26 2005: 733-742
- Aslam M.S.M, (2004) An Empirical Study on Reasoning for and Determinants of Sustainable Tourism Development, A Case Study of Kandy, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Unpublished M.Sc. Dissertation
- Buultjens, J, Ratnayake, I, Gnanapala, A & Aslam, M 2003, 'Tourism in protected areas of Sri Lanka: a case study', in RW Braithwaite & RL Braithwaite (eds), Riding the wave of tourism and hospitality research: Proceedings of the Council of Australian University Tourism and Hospitality Education (CAUTHE) Conference, Coffs Harbour, NSW, 5-8 February, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW. ISBN: 1863844899
- Buultjens, J., Ratnayake, I., Gnanapala, A. & Aslam, M. (2003). Conservation and Tourism in a Sri Lankan National Park, a paper presented to the BEST Education Network, Think Tank III, Alajuela, Costa Rica, 7 - 12 July.
- Gnanapala, W.K.A.C. and Aslam, M.S.M, (2000) Tourism Industry in Sri Lanka: Future Scenario, Economic Review, June/August, 2000: 18-21
- Aslam M.S.M (1998), Role and Functions of Inbound Travel Agencies in Sri Lanka, A Case Study of Four Leading Travel Agencies, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, Unpublished B.Sc. Dissertation
2017 : Consultant for Strategic Action Plan Development for Eastern Province, Skills for Inclusive Growth, Ausaid Project 2017-2018
2017 : Resource Person, Development of Tourism Action Plan 2017 – 2020, North-Western Province
2017 : Member of International Scientific Committee ICCHT 2017: 19th International Conference on Cultural Heritage and Tourism Paris, France January 23 - 24, 2017 https://www.waset.org/conference/2017/01/paris/ICCHT/committees
2016 : Member of International Scientific Committee ICCHT 2016: 18th International Conference on Cultural Heritage and Tourism Paris, France
January 23 - 24, 2017
2015 – 2016 : Sectoral Consultant, Planning and Development Batticalao District.
2015 – 2016 : Consultant for Tourism Planning and Development, Ampara and Batticalao Districts, ILO Project
2015 – Today : Member of Academic Board, Sri Lanka Institute of Tourism and Hotel Management.
2015 – Today : National Consultant for Homestay Tourism Development, Ministry of Tourism, Sri Lanka
2015 – Today : Member of Scientific Committee, 8th Tropical Tourism Outlook Confere2015, Lombok, Indonesia
2015 : Chairman, Interview Board for selection of People for Tourist Guide Lecturer/Transport Facilitator/Tourism Service Provider Trainings
2013 – Today : Resource Person for capacity building programme for Tourist Guide Lecturer, Transport Facilitator and Basic Service Providers in Central Province
2014 : Member of Scientific Committee 7th Tropical Tourism Outlook Conference Sri Lanka 2014
2014 : Chairman, Interview Board for selection of People for Tourist Guide Lecturer/Transport Facilitator/Tourism Service Provider Trainings
2010 – 2011 : Member of Consultant Team, Integrated Provincial Development Planning of Sabaragamuwa Province, Sabaragamuwa Provincial Council, Ratnapura 2009 – 2010 : Member of Consultant Team, 5 Year Tourism Master Plan Development for Sabaragamuwa Province, Sabaragamuwa Provincial Council, Ratnapura
2009 – 2010 : Member of Steering Committee, Ma-Oya Integrated Zonal Development in Sabaragamuwa Province, Sabaragamuwa Provincial Council, Ratnapura
2008 – 2009 : Resource Person for Tourism Planning and Development in Uva Province, Sri Lanka
2007 – 2008 : Member of Advisory Panel, Community Based Tourism, Ministry of Tourism, Sri Lanka
2007 – 2008 : Committee Member, Bathelegala Tourism Development Project, Sabaragamuwa Provincial Council, Ratnapura