Professor Udaya Rathnayaka
PhD - Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand 2009
MSc - University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka 2004
BSc - University of Ruhuna, Sri Lanka 20001
Food borne pathogen detection
Antimicrobial activity of plant extracts
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka, R. K. Devappa, S. K. Rakshit, Rapid Detection of Food Pathogens Using Molecular Methods.Molecular Techniques in Food Biology: Safety, Biotechnology, Authenticity and Traceability. John Wiley & Sons, 2018.
- T.L.H.S. Hemanthi, C.P. Rupasinghe and D.A.C.K. Dalukdeniya, R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities and starch digestion rate of the organically-and non-organically grown traditional rice varieties in Sri Lanka,Sri Lanka Journal of Food and Agriculture, 3(1), 37-42, 2017
- D.A.C.K.Dalukdeniya R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka, Comparative Study on Antibacterial and Selected Antioxidant Activities of Different Eryngium foetidum Extracts, Journal of Applied Life Sciences International 12 (4), 1-7, 2017.
- D.A.C.K.Dalukdeniya, R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka, Study on breakfast skipping behavior and implication of newly formulated ready to eat snack bar as breakfast food in different populations of Sabaragamuwa university of Sri Lanka. Scholars Academic Journal of Biosciences 5 (1), 36-40,2017.
- D.A.C.K.Dalukdeniya, K.L.S.R. De Silva, R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. Antimicrobial Activity of Different Extracts of Leaves Bark and Roots of Moringa oleifera (Lam). International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences.5(7):2016.
- J.W.A.Sajiwanie, R.M.U.S.K.Rathanayaka. Investigation of Nutritional Value of Selected Sri Lankan Traditional Root and Tubers. Scholars Academic Journal of Biosciences, 4(8):656-660, 2016.
- K. L. S. R. De Silva and R. M. U. S. K. Rathnayaka, Physico-chemical sensory and microbiological evaluation of set and fruit yoghurt in Sabaragamuwa province, Sri Lanka. Journal of Scientific Research and Reports. 3(2): 284-293, 2014.
- K. L. S. R. De Silva, D. Y. Jadhav, R. M. U. S. K. Rathnayaka and A. K. Sahoo. Investigation of Nutrient Content, Phytochemical Content, Antioxidant Activity and Antibacterial Activity of Inedible Portion of Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.). European Journal of Medicinal Plants, 4(5), 610-622, 2014.
- R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. Effect of natural microbial population of raw milk on the performance of standered Salmonella detection methodologies. Applied Science Reports, 1(1), 31-33, 2014.
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Effect of freeze - drying on viability and probiotic properties of a mixture of probiotic bacteria. ARPN Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 3, No, 11, 2013.
- E. Sanjeevan, R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka and Amal Wadasinghe. Optimization of chemical disinfection conditions to reduce microbes in spice products. Scholars Academic Journal of Biosciences, 1(6), 2013.
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Antibacterial activity of Ocimum sanctum extracts against four food-borne microbial pathogens. Scholars Journal of Applied Medical Sciences,Vol.-1, Issue-6, 2013.
- M. T. N. Ranathunga, R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Comparison of physico-chemical and sensory properties of probiotic and natural yogurt. Journal of Biological and Food Science Research. Volume 2 (1), 2013.
- R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. Antibacterial effect of malic acid against Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella enteritidis and Escherichia coli in mango, pineapple and papaya juice. American Journal of Food Technology, 8 (1), 74-82, 2013.
- R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. The effect of ultraviolet and heat treatments on microbial stability, antioxidant activity and sensory properties of ready-to-serve Tropical almond drink, American Journal of Food Technology, 7 (3), 133-141, 2012.
- W. M. R. A. B. Weerasekara, R. M. U. S.K. Rathnayaka and K. H. Saranandha Preparation of ready-to-serve beverage from tropical almond (Terminalia cattappa) fruit pulp. Tropical Agricultural Research and Extension 15(4): 2012.
- E.J.C.N. Karunarathna, R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Influence of the Calcium on microbial stability and texture of osmotic dehydrated Pineapple slices. The Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 7, no 1, 33-42, 2012.
- R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. Effect of Bacterial Interactions on Antimicrobial Compound Production by Lactic Acid Bacteria. International Journal of Dairy Science. 7(3): 63-69, 2012.
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka, Sudip Kumar Rakshit. Reliable Detection of Viable Salmonella Enterica from Inoculated Chicken Samples by Fluorescent in Situ Hybridization (FISH) with Vivification Step. Sabaragamuwa University JournalVolume 11 Number 1; December, pp 13-20, 2012.
- R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. Effect of sample pre-enrichment and characters of food samples on the examination for the Salmonella by plate count method and fluorescent in -situ hybridization (FISH) technique, American Journal of Food Technology, 6 (9), 851-856, 2011.
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Evaluation of Five DNA Extraction Methods in the Detection of Salmonella enterica from Meat Using Nested PCR. The Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 6, no1, 24-31, 2011.
- B.K.K.K. Jinadasa, L.R.S. Rameesha, E.M.R.K.B. Edirisinghe andR.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Mercury, Cadmium and Lead levels in three commercially important marine fish species of in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka J. Aquat. Sci. 15, 39-43, 2010.
- R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka, S.K. Rakshit. Evaluation of metal hydroxide immobilization and DNA extraction methods on detection of Salmonella enterica from pork sausage by Nested-PCR. Journal of Muscle Food, 21, 4, 801-812, 2010.
- R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka, S.K.Rakshit. Persistence of rRNA in heat-killed Salmonella enterica cells and its effect on detection by Fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH).Tropical Life science Research, 21.1, 51-57,2010.
- R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka, Nguyen Thi Mai Thanh. Simultaneous detection of four food and water borne bacterial pathogens by Metal Hydroxide Immobilized Multiplex PCR Method. Tropical Agricultural Research & Extension 12(1): 42-46, 2009.
- P. K. Samarajeewa . R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. Disease Resistance and Genetic Variation of Wild Relatives of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.). Annals of the Sri Lanka Department of Agriculture, 2004.
- D.A.C.K.Dalukdeniya, R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. Formulation of a Navel High Energy Breakfast Bar for Adults. Extended Abstracts of the 1st IFSTSL Research Sessions 2015.
- K. A. Kumarasiri, R. M. U. S. K. Rathnayaka, C. P. Samarasekara. Impact of some selected herbs and spices on sensory and microbial properties of heat treated milk beverage. Forth International Symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, 2012.
- K.A. Antony, R.M.U.S.K Rathnayaka, A.K Sahoo. Optimization of process conditions for preparation of nelli candy by osmotic dehydration. Forth international symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, 201
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Evaluation of culturing conditions for effective bacteriocine production by Lactococcus lactis. Forth international symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, 2012.
- S.S.K Marasinghe, R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka, U.L.B.Jayasinghe. Bioactivity studies of the fruits of Spondias dulcis. International Symposium, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna, 2011. Page 5
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathanyaka, M.T.N Ranathunga, K.H. Sarananda. Development of ready to eat snack from lime. International Symposium, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna, 2011. Page 50.
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Interference of raw milk autochthonous micro-biota on the performance of standard Salmonella detection methodologies. International Symposium, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna, 2011. Page 47.
- R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. Detection of food borne pathogens: Molecular methods and the challenge of viable cell differentiation. Presented at Second annual research session, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, 2011.
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka, Influence of sample pre-enrichment on the examination of pork sausage samples for Salmonella by plate count method and fluorescent in -situ hybridization (FISH) technique. International Symposium, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna, 2010.
- K.A. Kumarasiri, J.A.P. Bodhika, R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Design and fabrication of a fully automated vacuum evaporation system for food industry. Third International Symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, 2010.
- R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. Sensitivity and reliability improvement of molecular methods used in food-borne microbial pathogen detection. Presented at First annual research session, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, 2010.
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka, Development of Powdery Mildew Resistant Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) using Genes from Wild Relatives. Lorne Genome conference, Victoria, Australia, 2010.
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka, S.K. Rakshit. Comparison of Fluorescent In Situ Hybridization and Three Specific Culture Media in Enumeration of Viable Salmonella enterica from Inoculated Chicken Samples. ICEPTE 08 International Conference, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, 2009.
- Nguyen Thi Mai Thanh, R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka. Potential application of restaurant wastewater reuse in Vietnam. GISpro2008 International Conference, Hochi Minh City, Vietnam, 2008.
- R.M.U.S.K. Rathnakaka, S.K. Rakshit. Influence of Antibiotic Treatments on Detection of Viable Salmonella enterica from Inoculated Chicken Samples by Fluorescent in Situ Hybridization. Second International Symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanaka, 2008.
- K.P.G.U. Samarasinghe R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka, D. Rajapaksha,. Quality Evaluation and Identification of Volatile Flavour Components of Kithul (Caryota Urens) Sap Based Products. First International Symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, 2006.
- T.S. Adikari and R.M.U.S.K. Rathnayaka. Formulation and Development of a Recipe for Biscuit based on Composite Flour Derived from Tuber Crops. First International Symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, 2006.
- S.G.J.N.Senanayaka, R.M.U.S.K.Rathnayaka and M. Fahim. An evaluation method to minimize the effect of environmental heterogeneity in selection of plants. Proceedings of the 58th Annual Session, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science, 2002.