Dr. DR Welikanna
PhD in Geoinformatics, Department of Civil and Earth Resources Engineering, Kyoto University, 2014
MSc in Geoinformatics, Department of Earth Observation Science, University of Twente, 2008
Bachelor of Surveying Sciences, Sabaragamuwa University, 2004
Duminda R Welikanna is currently a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Surveying and Geodesy, Faculty of Geomatics. His research interests focus on statistical pattern recognition from satellite images, including Fuzzy Markov Random Fields, super-resolution mapping. Further he also carries out his research work in the areas of Geo-Statics, Radar image analysis and interferometry, Hyperspectral Image analysis and Land Surveying applications. He is presently the Head of the Department of Surveying and Geodesy and the Research Co-coordinator for the Faculty of Geomatics. He has been awarded the Japanese Government Scholarship 2011 and the Sri Lanka Parliamentary Scholarship for Engineering 2006.
Image analysis: classification, segmentation
Super resolution Mapping (Markov Random Fields)
Radar image analysis and Radar interferometry
Current Research Projects
- Nonlinear Subsidence estimation using L-Band D-InSAR and PS methods for the central mountains of Sri lanka (Proposal Submitted to SUSL Research grant 2017)
- Flood and Forest canopy loss estimation using Sentinel-1 C Band SAR imagery/ (Using polarimetry and Interferometry) (Completed)
- Total Electronic content (TEC) mapping using single point positioning GNSS measurements (completed)
- Wind patterns and Wind speed mapping using Geo-statistical Interpolation Methods (External Drift Kriging/ KED) (completed)
- Healthy Tea growth monitoring using Landsat_8 Wave length information (completed)
- Deforestation or Reforestation: Estimation using varied satellite vegetation indices and Support Vector Machines (SVM) (completed)
- Monitoring the “Samanla Wava” Dam for movements, using first order and second order GNSS control networks (completed)
- Tunneling: Whether it is suitable for Sri lanka or not, A GIS based Modelling approach (End of completion)
- Rapid traversing for detail surveying: A novel Total station Guided Drone approach (Proposal Submitted to SUSL Research grant 2017)
- Extinction Modelling using Remote Sensing: A case study on Sri Lankan Elephants
- Determination of regional gravimetric geoid model using REMOVE-COMPUTE-RESTORE method
- Analyzing the Diversification of Digital Level measurements accuracy with respect to the position of the Sun
- Movement of the Southern Central hills in Sri Lanka – Using third order time series Triangulation positioning data
- Assessment of sediment deposition in Victoria Reservoir using Remote sensing satellite imageries
- Deflection of the Vertical Components: Analyzing the GPS, Leveling Measurements and their Distribution Geometry
- Cloud Mask and Patch Based Image Restoration for Landsat 8
- Extract buildings by using fuzzy C-Mean clustering and morphological filtering
- Analyzing Effect of “LakVijaya” Coal Power Station on Land Surface Temperature by using Remote Sensing Techniques
- Phenology of Rubber and its Temporal Change: A Remote Sensing Perspective
- Surveying through the Time – A case Study of ancient “Yapahuwa Kingdom”
- Effect of Temperature, Humidity, Atmospheric Pressure to the EDM Observation with Various Prism Constants
- Mapping Dispersion of Air Pollution Surrounding the “Norochchole” Coal Power Plant using Remote Sensing Technique
- Coherence Drop In SAR Amplitude due to Floods
- Disaster Resilience and Urban Composition a Comparable Analysis
- Sammani M G M., Welikanna, D. R Building Detection from Combined Fuzzy C-mean and Morphological Filtering from Landsat-8 Satellite Imagery. Asian Journal of Geoinformatics, Vol.16,No.4 (2016)
- Welikanna, D.R., Tamura, M., Susaki, J. (2014) Incorporating uncertainty into Markov Random Field classification with the combine use of optical and SAR images and adaptive Fuzzy mean vector, ISPRS Annals of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences (ISPRS Annals), Volume II-7, 2014
- Welikanna, D.R., Tamura, M., Tolpekin, V.A., Susaki, J. and Maki, M. (2012) Improving Markov Random Field based Super Resolution Mapping Through FUZZY Parameter Integration, ISPRS Annals of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences (ISPRS Annals), Volume I-7, 2012 . ISSN: 2194-9050. pp. 183-189.
- Chandana Dinesh Parape, Chinthaka Premachandra, Masayuki Tamura, Abdul Bari, Ranjith Disanayake, Duminda Welikanna, Shengye Jin, and Masami Sugiura. (2013), Building Damage and Business Continuity Management in the Event of Natural Hazards: Case Study of the 2004 Tsunami in Sri Lanka, Sustainability 2013, 5, 456-477; doi:10.3390/su5020456
- Sammani M G M., Welikanna, D. R (2016) Building Detection from Combined Fuzzy C-mean and Morphological Filtering from Landsat-8 Satellite Imagery. ACRS 2016 : proceedings of the 37th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing. (AARS Innovation paper Award)
- Lakshani P A K R., Welikanna, D. R (2016) A time series analysis on Urban resilience. ACRS 2016 : proceedings of the 37th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing.
- Mafaz M F M., Welikanna, D. R (2016) A comparative analysis on Amplitude and Coherence based change detection using ALOS PALSAR images. ACRS 2016: proceedings of the 37th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing.
- Lakshani P A K R., Welikanna, D. R (2016) Disaster Resilience and Urban composition a comparative analysis. IIIRR 2016 : proceedings of the 12th International Conference of the International Institute for Infrastructure Resilience and Reconstruction.
- Ranasighe, A.K.R.N., Welikanna, D. R et al. (2015) Detection of meeriyabedda landslides from high resolution optical satellite data. ACRS 2015: proceedings of the 36th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing.
- Welikanna, D.R., Tamura, M., Susaki, J. (2014) Incorporating uncertainty into Markov Random Field classification with the combine use of optical and SAR images and adaptive Fuzzy mean vector. ISPRS Technical Commission VII Synposium, Thematic Processing, Modelling and Analysis of Remotely Sensed Data, Istanbul, Turkey. 29th September- 02nd October, 2014
- Welikanna, D.R., Tamura, M., Tolpekin, V.A., Susaki, J. and Maki, M (2012) Improving Markov Random Field based Super Resolution Mapping Through FUZZY Parameter Integration. In: ISPRS 2012: Proceedings of the XXII congress : The International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Imaging a Sustainable Future, 25 August - 01 September 2012, Melbourne, Australia. Comm. VII, WG VII/4(1), pp. 183-189.
- Welikanna, D.R., Tamura, M., Tolpekin,(2013) Fuzzy parameter estimation through fuzzy c-means clustering for Markov Random Field (MRF) based Super Resolution Land Cover Mapping (SRM). In proceeding of: 2013 Canadian Institute of Geomatics Annual Conference and the 2013 International Conference on Earth Observation for Global Changes, 5-7 June 2013, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. TS EOGC3: Land Use and Land Cover Changes, pp.100-105.
- Welikanna, D.R., Tamura, (2013) Multiplicative Autoregressive Random Field model based texture and Complex Coherence to detect the urban change due to 2011 off the pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami Using Full Polarimetric L-Band SAR imagery. In proceeding of: 2013 Canadian Institute of Geomatics Annual Conference and the 2013 International Conference on Earth Observation for Global Changes, 5-7 June 2013, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. TS EOGC4: Hazard Monitoring and Vulnerability Assessment, pp.122-128.
- Welikanna, D.R., Tolpekin, V.A. and Kant, Y. (2008) Analysis of the effectiveness of spectral mixture analysis and Markov random field based super resolution mapping over an urban environment. In: ISPRS 2008 : Proceedings of the XXI congress : Silk road for information from imagery : the International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 3-11 July, Beijing, China. Comm. VII, WG VII/4(1). Beijing : ISPRS, 2008. pp. 641-649
- Welikanna, D.R., Tolpekin, V.A. and Kant, Y. (2008) Integrating the advantages of Hyperion image with linear spectral unmixing to detect the urban composition. In: ACRS 2008 : proceedings of the 29th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, 10-14 November 2008, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Colombo : Survey Department of Sri Lanka, Asian Association on Remote sensing, 2008. 9 p