Dr. R Bandara
Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University, 2014
Master of Science in Environmental Soil Science, Department of Soil Science, University of Peradeniya, 2008
Bachelor of Science in Surveying Sciences, Faculty of Geomatics, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, 2005
I am involved in multi-disciplinary applied research, with specific focus on land surface modeling, parameter optimization, water scarcity and climate, and soil remediation and rehabilitation. I also have extensive experience with laboratory and field work on soil hydraulic properties, soil physical properties, and soil moisture measurements. Additionally, I am very well conversant in Land Surveying theory and practical.
Land Surface Models (LSM) and optimization techniques
Forest die-back studies
Soil Remediation and Rehabilitation
Current Research Projects
- SUSL/RG/2016/04 "Environmentally Induced Forest Die-back in Horton Plains: Sources of Contaminants, Their Fate, and Mitigating Toxicity with Natural Geo-sorbents.” 2017 – 2019 (3 years), Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka (Co-Investigator)
Peer-reviewed journal papers
- Bandara, R., Walker, J.P., Rüdiger, C. and Merlin, O.: 2015. Towards soil property retrieval from space: An application with disaggregated satellite observations, Journal of Hydrology, 522, 582-593, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.01.018.
- Bandara, R., Walker, J.P. and Rüdiger, C.: 2014. Towards soil property retrieval from space: Proof of concept using in-situ observations, Journal of Hydrology, 512, 27-38, doi: .10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.02.031.
- Bandara, R., Walker, J.P. and Rüdiger, C.: 2013. Towards soil property retrieval from space: A one-dimensional twin-experiment. Journal of Hydrology, 497, 198-207, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2013. 06.004.
- Peischl, S., Walker, J., Rüdiger, C., Ye, N., Kerr, Y., Kim, E., Bandara, R. and Allahmoradi, M.: 2012. The AACES field experiments: SMOS calibration and validation across the Murrumbidgee River catchment, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 16, pp. 1697-1708, doi: 10.5194/hess-16-1697-2012.
Presentations & conference proceedings
- Bandara, R. and Yapa, P. I.: 2016. Human Health Effects of Agricultural Pollution: A Review, 3rd International Conference of Agricultural Sciences (AgInsight 2016) – Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka, Belihuloya, Sri Lanka, 08-09 December, 2016.
- Bandara, R., Walker, J.P. and Rüdiger, C.: 2012. Towards soil hydraulic parameter retrieval from a Land Surface Model under dofferent meteorological conditions, IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Munich, Germany, 22-27 July 2012.