Dr. HMI Prasanna
Doctor of Philosophy, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
MPhil in Geodesy, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka.
BSc in Surveying Sciences, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
Dr. H.M.I.Prasanna is a Senior Lecturer (Gr. I) at the Department of Surveying and Geodesy, Faculty of Geomatics, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka. He is also a visiting lecturer at the University of Sri Jayewardenepura and General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University. Mainly he is teaching Geodesy and Geodetic Reference Systems for undergraduate and postgraduate students. Presently he is the Dean of the Faculty of Geomatics and the member of the University Council and the Senate. His research focuses on gravity field modeling and geodetic datums. Currently he is serving as the geodetic consultant of the Lanka GPS pvt (Ltd).
Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
2009-present – Senior Lecturer, Department of Surveying and Geodesy, Faculty of Geomatics
2016-present – Visiting Lecturer, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
2016-present – Visiting Lecturer, General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University
Earth gravity field modeling
Geodetic reference systems and Datums
Internal structure of Earth
Current Research Projects
Development of a Unified Vertical Reference Framework for Land and Hydrographic Surveying in Sri Lanka - National Science Foundation Research Grant 2017 – RG/2017/EA/ &ICT/01 – Rs. 1,653,280.00
Diffution of Survey Profession in Sri Lanka, Sabaragamuwa University Research Grant 2016 - SUSL/RG/2016/15 – Rs. 792,500.00
- Wijesiriwardhana H.G.M.P., Rathnayake R.M.S.P., Prasanna H.M.I., &Welikanna D.R. (2016). Calculation of Deflection of the vertical components: Analysing the GPS, Levelling Measurements and their distribution Geometry. 37th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing (ACRS 2016), Colombo, Sri Lanka, 17-21 October 2016.
- Prasanna, H. M. I., Chen, W., &Gómez‐Ortiz, D (2014). Geophysical Investigation of theStructure of the Lithosphere beneath Sri Lanka by using Surface and Internal Load Variations. Pure and Applied Geophysics, 1-12.
- Prasanna, H. M. I., Chen, W., &İz, H. B. (2013). High resolution local Moho determination using gravity inversion: a case study in Sri Lanka. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 74, 62-70.
- Prasanna, H. M. I., & Chen, W. (2012). Geoid modeling using a high resolution geopotential model and terrain data: A case study in Canadian Rockies. Journal of Applied Geodesy, 6 (2), 89-101.
- Prasanna, H. M. I., &Tantrigoda, D. A. (2009). Determination of the geoid of central highlands in Sri Lanka. Journal of Applied Geodesy, 3(2), 121-128.
- Prasanna, H. M. I. (2009). A Possible way of determining the local contribution of the topographical masses to the geoid of Sri Lanka. 12th international conference on Humans and Computers (HC-2009), Shizuoka University, Japan, 9-10 December 2009.
- Prasanna, H. M. I., &Tantrigoda, D. A. (2007). Determination of the gravity potential due totopographical masses in Sri Lanka. 2nd International Symposium, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
- Prasanna, H. M. I., &Tantrigoda, D. A. (2007). Determination of the geoid of Sri Lanka: APreliminary study. Commonwealth Association of Surveying and Land Economy (CASLE), international conference, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 22 June 2007.
- Kumara, E.P.N.U., Wijeratne, A.W., Prasanna, H. M. I. (2003). Estimation of Global Warming Damage Cost due to the Forest Fires in the Imbulpe Divisional Secretariat Division, 9th Annual Forestry and Environment Symposium, 2003.