Ethics Review Committee
Instructions to Applicants
Please read this carefully to ensure that your application is properly filled, the relevant documents are correctly prepared as this would minimize delays in evaluating your application.
- Badly planned and poorly designed research that causes inconvenience to participants with possible risks will not produce useful or valid results and is considered to be unethical. It is the responsibility of the researcher to ensure that his / her research is of good scientific quality before making a n application for ethics review.
- The ERC may return the application if it is flawed in research methodology and fails to demonstrate adequate scientific rigor.
- Applicants must prepare the information sheets and consent forms to include all relevant information. Guidance can be obtained from http://www.who.int/rpc/research_ethics/informed_consent/en/
- Please collect a soft copy (e-copy) of the application form or request ERC Sabaragamuwa office to email it to you.
- Please ensure that ALL documents have a version number/date and a page number in the footer/header.
- Please note that all communications by the ERC, Sabaragamuwa will be exclusively with the Principal Investigator.
- Please allow a minimum of 2 months for processing.
- All documents to be submitted to the ERC to be type written on A4 papers.
- Filling an application form
- The current version of the application form (Version 1.0 of June 2019) is available at the ERC Sabaragamuwa office. Please obtain an electronic copy of it and type in all relevant information.
- All research proposals must be submitted on the prescribed application form.
- The application form must be typed with word processing software such as MS Word. The cages are expandable as you type.
- The application form should be completely filled, giving pertinent information according to instructions given.
- Ensure that contact details of applicant, co-investigators and supervisors are current and accurate to avoid delays.
- Please do not leave any sections blank and indicate as 'not applicable' any questions that are not relevant.
- The relevant section/s and page numbers on the proposal must be clearly indicated in the application form as required.
- Applications and all other relevant documents including translations must be typed and hand written applications/forms will not be accepted.
- Once filled, the applicant and all other co-investigators must sign the hard copy of the application form.
- Documents to be submitted.
- Duly filled checklist and all relevant documents as mentioned bellow.
- One (1) copy of each of the following
- Covering letter signed by the applicant (Principal Investigator)
- Letter from supervisor (if relevant)
- Copy of approval letter from Board of Study (for postgraduate students only)
- Curriculum Vitae of Principal Investigator (For external applicant only)
- Two (2) copies of the following documents must be stapled and bound together
- The application form duly filled and signed.
- The proposal - Postgraduate students must submit a copy identical to that approved by the board of study.
- The project summary.
- Study instruments in English and Sinhala and Tamil translations where relevant e.g. questionnaires, focus group guides etc.
- Information sheet in English and Sinhala and Tamil translations where relevant.
- Consent forms in English and Sinhala and Tamil translations where relevant.
- Assent forms in English and Sinhala and Tamil translations where relevant.
- Advertisement for recruitment and Sinhala and Tamil translations where relevant.
- Email a complete set of all documents submitted (include one copy of your application, protocol, project summary, instruments and forms in all languages) as (.docx) files to firstname.lastname@example.org at the time of submission.
- Submission process
- Principal Investigator/Applicant or Co-investigator should handover all documents and all (.docx) files.
- All postgraduate student projects must obtain approval from their respective Boards of study BEFORE submitting an application.
Opening hours for submission
- ERC Office is located at the Faculty of Medicine, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, P.O. Box 01, Hidellana, Ratnapura.
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday - 8.30 am to 3.30 pm.
- Submission dead line and meeting dates
- The ERC, Sabaragamuwa meets every second Thursday of the month.
- Duly completed applications should be submitted on the last working date of the current month (before 3 pm), to be taken up at the next scheduled meeting.
Dr. Nilantha Gamlathge (MBBS,MD,DTCD,DOHS,MSc,PGCME,MSc,AET)
Dr .M.L.G.Piyatissa (MBBS,MD.)
- Prof. N.M. Wickramaratne (Grad.IChem,PhD)
- Dr. Amila Jayasekara (MBBS,MS,FCSSL)
- Dr. Vajira Dharmawardane (MBBS.MD.)
- Dr. Neranjan Dissanayake (MBBS,MD,MRCP,MRCP)
- Dr. Hasitha Wijewantha (MBBS, MD, MRCP)
- Dr. N.D. Amal Wageesha (Grad.IChem, MPhil, PhD)